83 Aspencade..power issues

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bikerjon
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 aspencade

83 Aspencade..power issues

Postby bikerjon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 am

I have a 1983 Aspencade that I bought for my son. It has a single Holly carb installed from the previous owner. I have rebuilt the carb and gone over the entire bike. I put new timing belts and tensioner bearing, sparks plugs and gone over all the electrical connections and systems, things seem to be fine to me. But I have a serious power issue ( low to no power , occasional back fire) at low RPM, primarily starting off from a dead stop and low speed throttle response. At highway and mid range it runs fantastic and gets 45-50 MPG. I am suspecting the vacume spark advance mechanism or mechanical advance. I have disconnected the vacum line from the advance and the bike seems to act exactly the same as hooked when it is hooked up ( surely expected it to run worse when unhooked). Runs great at mid to high range but way short on power at the start and low speed throttle responce ( like 2nd gear when turning corners ). I see the info on checking the mechanism after removing the rear wheel. But before I tear the bike apart does anyone have a better way to check the performance without the teardown. Oddly when the bike is off ond I apply vacume I can hear the advance operating, but it doesent seem to hold the position if I draw a vacume and remove the vacume source ( pinching off the line first of corse ). It seems like the I would expect the diaphram to hold its position once a vacume is drawn. Does anyone have a little insight on this issue. Thanks in advance...Doug

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 83 Aspencade..power issues

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am

You've got a bit of a conundrum, because I suspect the problem is related to the single carb installation - and whether the problem is inherent to that installation, or is because of another problem, we won't really know. If it had the original carbs, then for sure we would know that was not right. Have you found anyone else on the net who might have this carb installed?

bikerjon
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 aspencade

Re: 83 Aspencade..power issues

Postby bikerjon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 pm

No...I am shooting blind as far as the install goes or having the original carbs to put back on..But wouldn't you expect it to run worse when unhooking the vacum line from the advance ...It runs exactly the same. Thanks

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”