Backrest and rear backreast plus pouches on each side

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Backrest and rear backreast plus pouches on each side

Postby kajunmisfitt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 pm

I have a 1982 Aspencade, getting to the end of bring it back to life, What I have found when I took the driver side and passager side backrestoff, one if not both are needing to be replaced ,, (From what he tells me they are rotten out) since I took the (2) side pouches off and was going to get them redone too. But if I can find something better then I want to go that route. BUT FOR YA'LL OUT HERE RIDING THESE GREAT BIKE WHAT IDEALS DO YA'LL HAVE FOR ME. I thought about just replacing the pouches with pads, and just redo the backrest the "HOMEMADE" ROUTE. BUT WHAT DO YA'LL HAVE TO SAY,, This is my first major job. So Please give me some ideals . Hopfully I have about 30-45 day before it is road worthy !!!! :?:

dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Re: Backrest and rear backreast plus pouches on each side

Postby dawgout81 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:35 am

I was able to redo my back rest. Visited the local upolstery shop and bought some marine grade vinyl. My wife sewed in a matching diamond pattern for me using the old velour as her pattern.

Had to drill out the alumnium holes on the backside and rerivet to attach.

On the side bags, only the front of them was velour, so I kept the honda original black on the sides and top, the took a seam ripper to the front and removed the old and stitched in the new and reattached.

I have found the bags to be somewhat handy. Keep a can of Seafoam in one and try and use a portion quite often when I fill up. Seafoam seems expensive to me, but then I figure it is cheap insurance to try and protect the carbs. I also don't trust the quality of gas or its longevity these days.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”