weak spark 1982 1100 aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
shermanator
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

weak spark 1982 1100 aspencade

Postby shermanator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Need help, my wing would run fine the warmer the engine gets its starts missing have to keep it at low rpms to get her home.I have read great info here and this is what I have tried (replaced plugs , changed coils out , changed spark units out , replaced main fuse (dogbone) , seafoam , resoldered 3 yellow wire by batt.) After I changed the coils out it ran great for about 29 mins. then started missing when I shut it off to take the gas cap off it woulndt crank and hasnt cranked since , the spark seems very weak , any help would be appreciated , oh yeah the gas cap had pressure on it , but I know thats irrelevent to weak spark. Thanks for any help

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: weak spark 1982 1100 aspencade

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 am

why do you say weak spark?? could be clogged carbs..or floats not set correctly..so when high gas demand,it can't run. Starved for gas..what do the plugs look like..wet?, carboned? tan, white? oily?

You can check the spark by pulling the plugs laying the tip on the engine and cranking her over..spark should be fat & white or blue. Be sure to keep the tips on the engine..running with the plugs not grounded is bad for the system. Doing this in a darkened garage helps to see the spark.

Be careful to keep the gas anyway from the open sparks..use old plugs in the spark plug holes and/or drain the gas out of the carbs and shut off the petcock before trying this. Open spark plus gas equals explosion. :shock:
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”