1986 blue, goldwing Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade

1986 blue, goldwing Aspencade

Postby Randy-1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 am

Some of you may think this is "silly"...however
Before my Dad passed in '05 from cancer, he gave me his 1986 aspencade. I have decided to bring the old girl back to the glory she deserves. With only 60k on the odometer I know it is barely broke in. It really is in pristine shape and the only thing I don't know is if/when he had any tune ups or mechanical work done on it. I am having it looked at from back to front, all fluids replaced and a thorough inspection done to establish a baseline so I can go forward from here. The only maintenance issue I see is on the engine. The clear coat is coming off and I don't know how to stop it or repair it. Can anybody help me with this?
I'm also curious to know if the blue color was a limited color during that year. I have seen very few of these this color ....just courious.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: 1986 blue, goldwing Aspencade

Postby trike lady » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Yes there is a blue for 1986 it is Pearl Siren Blue-A *PB123PA .
If the clear coat is coming off the valve covers, it can be removed and it's time consuming.
I had a 1988 Harley Davidson Electra-glide with a polished aluminum primary cover where the clear coat was deteriorating and I used 0000 steel wool and wenol metal polish to remove the coating and polish the cover.
I think its wonderful to restore your father's Goldwing.
May you and the Wing have many happy miles.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”