Front fork tubes

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jskeys
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

Front fork tubes

Postby jskeys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Well, as I continue this journey, I now have a new problem. Got the forks off my 84 Asp and the fork tubes show lots of rust and pitting all the way down to the fork slider. It would seem that replacing the seals on these tubes would be a waste of time unless there is something that can be done to restore the smooth finish on the tubes. But I would think that any work to remove the rust and pitting would alter the size and cause seals to leak. I suspect I will have to replace the tubes, but thought I would ask you guys if there are any suggestions (either to fix the damage on these tubes or where I can find used replacements). Thanks guys.

jskeys

Re: Front fork tubes

Postby jskeys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm

An additional question. Are there any tubes from other bikes that will fit? For example will the tubes from a 1500cc wing fit the fork sliders of a 1200? Just asking since most of you are very knowledgeable about options. Thanks.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 pm

It's not a permanent fix, but if you take the surface rust off (use crinkled up balls of aluminum foil, it will remove the rust without damaging the chromed surface), you can then use a very thin coat of JB-Weld to fill in the pits. Once it has cured, use a 600 grit followed by 1500 grit paper to take the JB-Weld off and expose/polish the original chrome, leaving only the pits filled with JB-Weld. It will last you a couple of years, anyway.

jskeys

Postby jskeys » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

WingAdmin thanks a million. I knew that someone would have options. I understand the option you gave and it is very instructive. The project is costing more than I had at first thought it would (don't they all, lol). But I intend to keep the bike and ride it for the next few years, so I would rather do it right. So, I have found a set of forks (on ebay) and have purchased them. I'll put the new seals and dust cover in them and drive on. The forum has been a great help as I go thru this step by step. Thanks to all.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”