Valve cover gaskets

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jskeys
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

Valve cover gaskets

Postby jskeys » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Having read the posts on oil leaks, I have located the small oil leak on my 84 Asp on the right valve cover gasket (I believe). I get a couple of drops of oil on the tow of my right shoe when riding for about an hour, so the leak is relatively small. I have ordered new valve cover gaskets and plan to install them. Reading the posts it looks like a relatively straight forward operation. I have a few general questions: Do you recommend using anything along with the gasket (sealer, etc)? Reading the posts there was some discussion of the seals around the bolts holding the cover. Are these reusable or do I need to replace them? There seemed to be a suggestion to use a silicon sealer with the seals around the bolts, is this the best way? Is there a torque setting when tightening these bolts? Thanks to all.

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Re: Valve cover gaskets

Postby firstwing85 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:00 pm

I replaced my valve covers and used the same gaskets again, I just made sure that the surface is really clean and I have not had any leaking at all, silicone seems to attract moisture so I try not to use it if I don't have too.
there is a product called "gasket seal" which I believe does not attract moisture like silicone, but the main thing is to make sure there is no debris under the gasket..
good luck and I hope this helps you some.
Johan

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”