Aerosol Rust Inhibitor

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Aerosol Rust Inhibitor

Postby BikerNewsman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 am

As mentioned in a previous post I went yesterday to get some aerosol rust inhibitor to use in my bikes tank while it was dry. I went to every bike shop and car parts outet within 30 miles of my residence. Nobody has it (which isn't unusual for anything here in western NC), and most recommended I pull the tank and use the 3-part method. Anyone know a supplier for the aerosol and/or a brand and part number? Hoping to not have to pull the tank unless absolutely necessary.

"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Re: Aerosol Rust Inhibitor

Postby D2D » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 am

If you have rust in your tank and want to do the job right, there's no getting around pulling the tank. I myself don't like any creamers or processes that may gum up the screens and pick-up tubes. I have cleaned several tanks inexpensively with electrolysis using baking soda or table salt and a 12-volt battery charger. Very easy to do and will bring the tank back to nearly new. Another method I have seen done and tried myself once was using a product called " The Works", it's a toilet bowl cleaner you add water to and slosh around in your tank, costs a dollar and can be found in any store that carries laundry products. Once cleaned, I then used acetone to make sure I removed any acids left from the cleaning process and made sure the tank was thoroughly dried so it would not flash rust while re-installing, then I misted the inside with MMO and filled with gas. I have never had any issues with rust returning and though it is a pita and time consuming, I have only had to do the job one time.

Here's a product I have seen that others recommend;

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html

mervk
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1986 1200 SEI and Trigg Trike kit.
1993 'Black Beauty' 1500 SE and chair.
1993 GL1500 Trike.
+ about 20 bikes from 1914 to current.

Postby mervk » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 am

I have had tank sealing kits cause me more headaches then enough, as I haven't found one yet that will stand up to the ethanol sugar cane rubbish they add to fuel these days. Turns the average tank sealer into fine string. The only treatment I use on the tanks of my old bikes and cars these days, is to block off all outlets and pour half a pint of really good quality etch primer in, then swill it about to cover all surfaces. I tip the paint back into the tin, and after it has dried for a day or so, I'll give it another coat. I guarantee years later the inside of your tank will still look like it's just been painted.

Cheers
Merv Kroll
Downunder

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks Merv and D2D. I'll keep all these methods in mind. I certainly want to do it right. Fuel leakage (and a possible fire) due to rust pin holes is something I don't want to chance, and I don't care to replace a tank either. Guess I probably should know this but... what is MMO?

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 am

Marvel Mystery Oil .. sorry should have typed it out.

poffutt
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate GL1200

Postby poffutt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Ok I am 4 days into trying this product I found on this site. I will let you guys know how it works after this weekend. You pour it in your tank and fill the rest of the way with water. You let it sit for 3 days and then rinse it out with a garden hose or power washer. $150 for a 5 gallen tank. I have open the cap and peeked in and so far am very impressed.

http://www.rusteco.com/

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 pm

D2D - Yep, I was right. I should have known what that was. lol I've used it in my other vehicles several times.

poffutt - 150.00??? Wow! Wish I could afford that... I thought 45.00 for the 3-part tank treatment was high! lol

poffutt
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate GL1200

Postby poffutt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am

Yesterday evening I got brave enough to take the gas cap off which was covered with rust. My tank has been soking for 5 day now with this 150 dollar Rusteco. When I removed the cap it looked milkey white. I took a rag and wiped it off and it was completely clean of rust. I was impressed. Tonight I am going to drain and and rinse with water. I am becoming a believer in this stuff. They claim after you rinse it out and blow dry it, you are ready to put gas in it and now sealent is neccesary and it will not rust.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 pm

The problem with ALL these methods , is not that they do not clean the tank very well:
They do :
even the 12 volt / salt works very well... after rinsing and drying, you could eat off the inside of the tank....

but the problem is the flash of rust that occurs within a day on the clean metal... and tiny flash rust particles are sometimes not captured by the fuel filter...

Keep it warm and very dry, and sealed, until you first put gas ( and MMO ) in it ... cold, clean metal will attract moisture .

SilverDave

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 pm

SilverDave - Ok, so now I'm confused. :? Are you saying I should not "de-rust" the tank, or that after cleaning I should make sure it's dry and warm until filling with gas? From what I can see there's only a few minor rust spots, but nothing penetrating the tank wall since it still creates pressure on a warm day. My initial plan was to clean, then coat, inside the tank to resolve these rust spots. Since there's no major rusting should I just go with fresh fuel, MMO, and possibly a fuel system cleaner after replacing the fuel lines and cartridge filter????

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”