Turn signal relay

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jskeys
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

Turn signal relay

Postby jskeys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm

I have an 84 Asp and am trying to sort out replacing the turn signal relay. From other posts I understand that I can use a NAPA EP34 flasher. I am not very good with wiring as I am half color blind and have to mark wires with tabs after someone tells me the color of the wire (what can a guy do, lol). The post from skyflyman1968 was great but I have different wire colors on my 84 Asp than he does on his 83 550 (I assume) his are white/green, green and gray. My 3 wires are: white---Brown----green. If anyone has done this can you tell me which is the hot (is that the white wire) and is the green on my wing not needed as he indicates in his post (as his bike is a Nighthawk).

His post is: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9725

Open to any suggestions. Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Turn signal relay

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Green is always ground.

There should be two other wires: grey and white/green. The white/green is +12V, and the grey goes to the turn signal switch, from there to the bulbs, and from there to ground.

I had a look on the schematic for your bike trying to find what might have three wires, white brown and green, but came up with nothing.

In any case, you can know for sure that green is your ground.

Take a multimeter, and with your turn signals turned off, and the ignition turned on, measure the other two wires against the green wire. One of them will have +12V, the other will have nothing. The +12V one is obviously the 12 volt feed, the remaining one goes to the turn signal switch.

If you have a two-terminal flasher, you don't need the green wire.

jskeys
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

Postby jskeys » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:46 pm

With a 2-wire auto flasher does it matter which wire goes to which flasher terminal? I have seen listed posts using a NAPA EP 34 and another using an EP 28.Can anyone tell me one that they have used that works? I suspect that I can with only 2 wires to connect if I get it wrong the first time I can just switch the wires and at worst blow a fuse.
As for wire color, I can track the wires for about 5-6 inches till it goes into a harness. I can find on indication of green markings on the white wire I have but will test it as if it is the green/white one. I will have someone recheck the other two (again, being color blind, I have to trust what others tell me as far as wire color). This is the last mechanical issue I have to resolve before I can relax and think in terms of regular maintenance rather than restoration, Thanks in no small part to you guys.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Some 2-wire flashers will work just fine when wired backward. Some will not function at all.

If it's a 2-wire flasher, and you hook it up NOT using the green wire (as you should) it will either work fine, or not work. It won't damage anything or blow a fuse. If it doesn't work, just swap the wires and you should be good.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”