seat cover

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Abuck
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing GL1200A

seat cover

Postby Abuck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

hi iam looking for a brown seat cover for my goldwing i am haveing a hard time trying to find any let me know if anyone has any ideas thank you

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: seat cover

Postby SilverDave » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:59 pm

A quality seat shop ( Cars, trucks, motorcycles ) can make you a new cover, almost perfect match from their huge supply of seat material .
You might have to phone around for the best prices.
While the seat pan is in their shop , You could get the top layer of foam re-done, and even a gel insert cut into the foam, for not a lot extra.

Around here , when I finally found a guy who did bike, and snowmobile seats,
he first asked a lot of pertinent questions :

"Do you want rolls, or pleats ? Do you want to do the back rest at the same time ?
Whats your preference in material ( Leather ? Vinyl? Outdoors (snowmobile) vinyl ?"

and then , looked me straight in the eye , and slowly asked ....
" Do you want a bill ?"

It took me about 20 seconds to understand this question, before I said, "No"

( Yes, I am a little slow )
No tax, no record, seat price at 60% less, nice job on the pleats, better material ....

Cool !!

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:35 pm

SilverDave wrote:A quality seat shop ( Cars, trucks, motorcycles ) can make you a new cover, almost perfect match from their huge supply of seat material .
You might have to phone around for the best prices.
While the seat pan is in their shop , You could get the top layer of foam re-done, and even a gel insert cut into the foam, for not a lot extra.

Around here , when I finally found a guy who did bike, and snowmobile seats,
he first asked a lot of pertinent questions :

"Do you want rolls, or pleats ? Do you want to do the back rest at the same time ?
Whats your preference in material ( Leather ? Vinyl? Outdoors (snowmobile) vinyl ?"

and then , looked me straight in the eye , and slowly asked ....
" Do you want a bill ?"

No tax, no record, seat price at 60% less, nice job on the pleats, better material ....

Cool !!

SilverDave

I was amazed that while this sort of thing (cash sales, no bill, no tax, no record) is commonplace in Canada, it's virtually unheard of in the US. You do not walk into a store in the US, and are given a "cash" price like you are in Canada. Hell, some places in Canada even ADVERTISE "cash prices"!

In Canada, a business gets caught evading taxes (which you never hear of happening), they slap their wrist, maybe give you a little fine. Here in the US, where the IRS just gives you a "go directly to federal prison" card, you really don't hear of this so much.

Pigasus
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

Postby Pigasus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
SilverDave wrote: and then , looked me straight in the eye , and slowly asked ....
" Do you want a bill ?"

SilverDave

I was amazed that while this sort of thing (cash sales, no bill, no tax, no record) is commonplace in Canada, it's virtually unheard of in the US. You do not walk into a store in the US, and are given a "cash" price like you are in Canada. Hell, some places in Canada even ADVERTISE "cash prices"!

In Canada, a business gets caught evading taxes (which you never hear of happening), they slap their wrist, maybe give you a little fine. Here in the US, where the IRS just gives you a "go directly to federal prison" card, you really don't hear of this so much.

I was thinking to myself, SilverDave thinks he's slow? :? Heck I wouldn't have gotten it at all! But now with the explanation, it makes a lot more sense. ;)

--Pig

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”