removing and cleaning rear caliper pistons

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate GL1200

removing and cleaning rear caliper pistons

Postby poffutt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm

I have removed my rear caliper and my pistons are stuck. What is the best way to get them out?

After I get them out how should I clean them with out scratching them?

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: removing and cleaning rear caliper pistons

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Check the "HOW-TO-ARTICLES".Look at the listing for the gl1100 "how to rebuild your rear caliper"

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: removing and cleaning rear caliper pistons

Postby SilverDave » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm

If you try the 1/8 inch metal or thin strip of wood trick, you should be able to , by pumping the brake , get them both to a place where you can wrestle them out with fingers.

One will come out a lot faster than the other, and I sometimes use a C clamp, and two small pieces of wood to stop that one from moving , while I pump up the slower, more stuck one.

Try to pop out the slower , more stuck piston, first , as the freerer one can usually be pulled by hand .

Once one has popped ( Ugh ... brake fluid everywhere !! ... have lots of shop cloths handy ) then furthur brake pumping won't help. If at THAT point , if one piston is still stuck, then, VERY carefully, with water pump pliers, and several layers of cloth, you can " Grab" and twist and wiggle the stubborn one to the surface of its hole.

You don't want to scratch or damage the piston,( Hence the cloth wrapping ) but the critical surface is the lower part, near the seals , not the upper 1/4 inch .
In any case, they are very hard metal, so you can be " Firm ".

and worst case scenario: IF even THAT does not help ?
I had this happen on an old SilverWing .
Hmmm... take a brake (LOL) , and remove the entire caliper ... and take it to a pro brake shop.

They have plier-like things that expand from the inside to grip a piston ,and twist and they can also use compressed air.

Once they are out ... back to cleaning, super fine sanding, and stuff... See the 1100 DIY article.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”