Drooping Mirror

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 86k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 24K

Drooping Mirror

Postby Mooseman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:20 pm

I found this and thought I would give it a try.

"The left side mirror would always droop down whenever I hit a moderate bump in the road so it seemed I was always pushing it back into position. I remember reading on one of the online forums that someone had used Locktite "green" to keep their mirrors in position. I gave it a try and it works like a champ. No more drooping mirror!
The green formula of Locktite is a penetrating formula, PX #29000, just a couple of drops at the pivot ball does the trick. I was a little hesitant at first as I was afraid I would not be able to position the mirror after applying the Locktite, but it is still moveable with only slightly more effort than before."

I gave this a try and so far it has worked great. I havn't tried to change the adjustment yet. Haven't had to.

Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Drooping Mirror

Postby SilverDave » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 am

Good to know !!... The drooping mirror problem is usually a result of buying an aftermarket 1200 mirror.
I did and tried all sorts of "fixes" for several months, before I happened upon
a method on another wing suite ....
I tried, sand as friction, various tapes, sticky greases , tightening it until I thought I was going to snap it off... but after a week or so... back to drooping .

This -working - method involves opening up the mirror to expose the joint and drilling a hole in the outer ( metal ) shell of the ball and socket joint , and a slightly smaller hole in the plastic ball, and a #6 screw thru both...

The slightly larger outer hole allows slight adjustments in all directions... so you have to have the mirror almost correct before starting this experiment ...
but after 12 years ... it did work for me.

Good to know there is a second method .

Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby saltydog » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 am

I used a center punch to make several punches all over the ball. When you punch something it upsets the material somewhat which makes the ball fit tighter. I also punched around the edge of the portion that goes over the ball. Worked for me.

Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 am

i would just use some silicone spread thin on something plastic then cut into a small circle. i s what we use on our manikin stands in school

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”