Timing belt questions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Timing belt questions

Postby harkgold » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Per everyone's suggestion, I am in the process of replacing the timing belts on my 84 GL-1200 Interstate.

I went to the chapter in my shop manual and copied the pages for this process.

Question #1. I see there is a photo in the manual along with instructions saying to mark each belt as left or right and also to mark each belt for direction of rotation. The manual does not indicate, but are these notations for the purpose of proper re-installation should the belts be found to be reusable and must be re-installed exactly as they came off? Or, is direction of engine rotation to be noted because like tires the new belts are possibly directional specific?

Question #2. After locating TDC per the instructions and making sure that the "UP" arrows on each drive pully were facing straight up I then, per the instructions, loosened the belt tensioner on the left pully as I faced the front of the engine so I could remove the left belt first since this belt is positioned on the outside of the crankshaft. This would be the belt on the right side of the engine if I were in the seat and facing forward.
When I slid this belt off its drive pully, I heard a "snap" and noticed the drive pully had suddenly snapped slightly to the right now placing the "UP" mark on the drive pully to between the twelve an one O-clock position. If I attempt to move the pully back to the straight up 12 O-clock position by hand the pully will simply snap back to between the twelve and one O-clock position as if under some kind of spring tension. When I removed the remaining right hand belt, the right hand drive pulley did not move at all, remaining in the exact same twelve oclock straight "up" position.

Does this mean that I will need to manually hold the left drive pully in its twelve o-clock position when I install the new belt so that it will then be properly positioned and straight up?

I hope my questions make sense?

Thanks,

Harkgold :)

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Re: Timing belt questions

Postby 86GW1200 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm

I just did mine 2 weeks ago and it runs like a champ - or exactly like it did before... :D

My answers are just my non-professional opinions...

1. I think the whole marking the belts is for putting the old ones back on. Since you are putting new ones on - it don't matter.

2. It sounds like the belt is still under a bit of tension. Don't worry about the cam turning slightly. Just make sure you line it back up with the timing marks on the case and gear.

Take your time and tripple check everything...

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks! This helps a bunch!

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:36 am

Put a closed end wrench on the bolt of the pulley that moved, line the timing mark back up and hold it in place with a wire tie attached to the frame and wrench while you install the new belt and tighten the adjuster to spec. Makes the job so much easier and you won't have to worry about it moving again until you are done.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

harkgold wrote:Per everyone's suggestion, I am in the process of replacing the timing belts on my 84 GL-1200 Interstate.

Question #1. I see there is a photo in the manual along with instructions saying to mark each belt as left or right and also to mark each belt for direction of rotation. The manual does not indicate, but are these notations for the purpose of proper re-installation should the belts be found to be reusable and must be re-installed exactly as they came off? Or, is direction of engine rotation to be noted because like tires the new belts are possibly directional specific?

Question #2. After locating TDC per the instructions and making sure that the "UP" arrows on each drive pully were facing straight up I then, per the instructions, loosened the belt tensioner on the left pully as I faced the front of the engine so I could remove the left belt first since this belt is positioned on the outside of the crankshaft. This would be the belt on the right side of the engine if I were in the seat and facing forward.
When I slid this belt off its drive pully, I heard a "snap" and noticed the drive pully had suddenly snapped slightly to the right now placing the "UP" mark on the drive pully to between the twelve an one O-clock position. If I attempt to move the pully back to the straight up 12 O-clock position by hand the pully will simply snap back to between the twelve and one O-clock position as if under some kind of spring tension. When I removed the remaining right hand belt, the right hand drive pulley did not move at all, remaining in the exact same twelve oclock straight "up" position.

Does this mean that I will need to manually hold the left drive pully in its twelve o-clock position when I install the new belt so that it will then be properly positioned and straight up?

1. You're correct - new belts don't have a direction or Left/Right fitment, so feel free to put them on as you see fit.

2. It is a spring tension - it's a valve spring that's trying to close a valve, and it's a very strong spring at that, as you've discovered. There are a few ways of holding it in place to keep it from moving. The one using a wrench and wire ties is a good one. I've also heard of people using C-clamps (gently!). I've used a wooden stick with two screws screwed into the end. I hooked the screw heads into the pulley, and used the stick to gain leverage to rotate the pulley into position before putting the belts on correctly.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:12 pm

D2D wrote:Put a closed end wrench on the bolt of the pulley that moved, line the timing mark back up and hold it in place with a wire tie attached to the frame and wrench while you install the new belt and tighten the adjuster to spec. Makes the job so much easier and you won't have to worry about it moving again until you are done.

My gosh, the timing of your response is perfect. It would have been even more perfect had I found and read your response sooner. I say this because I have spent ALLLLLL DAAAAAAAAY fidling with the belts and pulley's. I have been having a devil of a time trying to get the belt on the right side while trying to hold the pulley on the mark. Finally, out of frustration, at 9:45 PM I just gave up and decided to quit for the day and start again fresh in the morning.
Your idea about using a wire tie is fantastic and I will put it to use tomorrow.

I do have another question though:
The shop manual says to line up the timing dot on the pulley with the mark on the cover. I'm looking for a dot on the right side pulley and I see what I think is a very tiny little raised metal dot on the edge of the pulley, but then right next to the dot about a half inch away is a hash mark like a minus sign that is cut into the edge of the pulley.
I looked at the left side pulley and I only see the tiny raised dot and no hash mark.
Am I supposed to use the dot or the hash mark?

Thanks again!

Harkgold :D

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:45 am

Here's a couple of pics to show what you are looking for and lined up properly.
Attachments

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks for the photos! The pulleys on my bike look a little different than these photos. Your photos show an arrow plus what appears to be a raised hash mark. My pulleys do not have the arrow and only what appears to be a small raised metal dot.

This morning I discovered that I made a mistake and I'm hoping I haven't ruined the engine or created for myself a huge problem.
The shop manual instructions repeat over and over again to be sure to check all of the settings after each step to be sure all settings are still set properly.
This morning when checking the settings I discovered that I had read the flywheel markings wrong and discovered that instead of seeing the T1 mark through the hole I mistook the F1 marking as being the T1 marking. Initially when I took the plug out and looked for the T1 marking I was doing it with a flashlight and my poor set of glasses and thought I was seeing the T1 marking.
The pulley wheels are still in their straight up position and I have not turned the crankshaft at all. The only thing I have done so far is take off the belts.
However, now that I'm seeing F1 through the hole in the crankcase....I don't know what to do.
I hope I haven't really messed things up!!!!!!!!

Harkgold :oops:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 pm

If you're sure that the crank AND the pulleys haven't moved at ALL, you should be able to install the new belts, being very careful not to allow the crank or pulleys to move. Ensure that the belt is snug on the side without the tensioner - this is the side that the crank "pulls" the pulleys from, and it's critical that it's installed just right.

Once the new belts are on, very carefully rotate the engine through by hand, at least 2 (preferably more) full rotations. Make sure the plugs are out for this. If you feel any resistance, STOP and back up to where you started.

Hopefully you'll be OK by carefully installing the new belts.

englishted
Motorcycle: GL1800, GL1500

Postby englishted » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Good photos of the timing marks (very clearly marked) in this article:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200timingbelts.htm

and a video:

englishted
Motorcycle: GL1800, GL1500

Postby englishted » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm

For quick reference, here are the timing mark pictures from that article: