Three prong spade connector question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Three prong spade connector question

Postby harkgold » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm in the process of cleaning up the battery box area on my 84 GL-1200 Interstate. I'm removing the battery box itself so I can de-rust and paint it. While in this area I notice mounted on the upper left side of the battery box frame there is a metal bracket that holds to white plastic spade type connectors; a small one and a larger one and I had to disconnect and remove these in order to remove the battery box which is a good thing that I did.
The smallest of the two connectors is in excellent condition, however the largest connector is a three spade connector and when I pulled it apart I was horrified to find that all three of the male spades within the connector were completely rusted and corroded so badly that two of the spades literally crumbled into my hand.
I hope I am describing this part clearly enough that someone knows what I am talking about because I am not sure how to send photos on this site.
I went to my local auto parts store this morning and could not find anything that looks exactly like this. I did find the male half of a three prong spade connector that could be used but I would have to
attach a separate female spade connector to each wire and plug in each individual wire into its proper slot in order to make this work, plus it would probably not fit the bracket on the battery box and have to hang separate from the box.
Can anyone tell me where I can find an OEM connector like this?

Thanks,

Harkgold :?:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Three prong spade connector question

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:51 pm

Don't bother trying.Cut the connector completely off and throw it far away.
I recommend cleaning the wires(scraping) ,bare butt splice them and solder each one.
Wire to wire.Don't worry about which one went where,there all yellow.
After a perfect solder job and the wires are cooled off,insulate them.

This will eliminate the dreaded ...."Stator Wires Burnt and now I have a dead battery and a cooked stator and I'm stuck in the middle of Nebraska looking at cows >>Please help"....comment.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Have a look through this thread for more details: http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=4&t=18

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm

That sounds like the famous 3 pin plug that takes power from the alternator to the rectifier/regulator. the plug is a well known weak spot in the Goldwing electrical circuit and should be removed as soon as possible. Solder the wires together and seal them in heat shrink to prevent corrosion, do NOT refit another plug..

Gary

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Yup. I was thinking it wuz them Yeller wires too. :o
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

wrightwing
Motorcycle: ''87 GL1200 Interstate''

Postby wrightwing » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Slide your heat shrink onto the existing wires before you solder them together. It works better that way ;)
''NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER''

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:01 am

Something to consider here:
Before you go through the effort of soldering these wires together (no need to worry about which one goes to which, they are interchangeable,) you might consider looking into the service manual and using an ohm meter to check that the stator is in good working condition. Check this BEFORE you do make any wire connections. This way, you can keep the stator isolated to test it BY ITSELF...furthermore, if you get your stuff back together and later find that you have a charging problem, you'll wish you'd checked the stator's condition before you 'fixed' it.
Keep the rubber side down.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Sempai wrote:Something to consider here:
Before you go through the effort of soldering these wires together (no need to worry about which one goes to which, they are interchangeable,) you might consider looking into the service manual and using an ohm meter to check that the stator is in good working condition. Check this BEFORE you do make any wire connections. This way, you can keep the stator isolated to test it BY ITSELF...furthermore, if you get your stuff back together and later find that you have a charging problem, you'll wish you'd checked the stator's condition before you 'fixed' it.

Thanks Sempai! This is a good idea. I do have an ohm meter and will check the health of the stator before doing the wire work. I hope its a simple process to check out the stator.
And I suppose if the stator is bad the whole darned engine needs to be removed in order to replace it.
Harkgold

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:06 pm

As long as you are testing the stator health :
do the THREE part stator test first ...

http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm
and third post here :
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/93011.html

and then, as long as you have your soldering gun out, and the shrink wrap... I can HIGHLY recommend the EC GL1200 harness : all of the iffy connections replaced, double fused, larger gauge wire ( smaller ?? well ... BIGGER wire ), and hot wires going to the coils , too..

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wir ... charge.htm

You could probably make it yourself, for less than the $50... but there is also the running around time too..

In any case, I found it the best $50 I have ever spent on my GL1200... You can set the spark plugs at 50 thou ( Hotter ) and I have had no charging electrical problems since installing it, about 10 years ago.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 am

SilverDave wrote:As long as you are testing the stator health :
do the THREE part stator test first ...

http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm
and third post here :
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/93011.html

and then, as long as you have your soldering gun out, and the shrink wrap... I can HIGHLY recommend the EC GL1200 harness : all of the iffy connections replaced, double fused, larger gauge wire ( smaller ?? well ... BIGGER wire ), and hot wires going to the coils , too..

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wir ... charge.htm

You could probably make it yourself, for less than the $50... but there is also the running around time too..

In any case, I found it the best $50 I have ever spent on my GL1200... You can set the spark plugs at 50 thou ( Hotter ) and I have had no charging electrical problems since installing it, about 10 years ago.

Thanks for the tips SilverDave! This is good advice.
Harkgold
:)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”