kickstand adjustment

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
flojo

kickstand adjustment

Postby flojo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi folks, I have an 86 goldwing and would really like it if the kickstand was a little shorter--when I am parking on level ground it is fine but when there is even a slightly unfavorable tilt to the ground, it does not feel secure when I leave it on the kickstand. is there some way to shorten the length of the kickstand? Do other folks feel this way?

thanks in advance,
flojo

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: kickstand adjustment

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:57 am

I always thought the same thing about my 1100 - then I put a set of Progressive 416's in place of the tired old rear suspension, and suddenly the problem was fixed. Because the rear end was sagging so much from the tired springs, it made the bike sit upright quite a bit more when on the kickstand. Once it got lifted up from the new springs, it leaned over much better on the kickstand.

That said, if you REALLY want to modify the kickstand, instead of shortening it, I'd heat it near the top and bend it out ever so slightly. Lifting the kickstand foot even half an inch will make a fair difference in the overall lean of the bike when it is resting on it.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 am

I once owned a 81 Silverwing, which leaned WAY over.... almost 20° it appeared .. I found it quite distracting !!!
But apparently all SilverWings do this , I was told.

Eventually after several years, the side stand collapsed... slowly, and gently deposited the Wing on its side.
It was a real fiddle to find an identical side stand to replace it with.
The NEXT owner, was a welder, and welded a tiny foot on the stand bottom. , about 3/4 inch , to straighten it up a bit.

But what I didn't know then ... was the simple physics of a side stand :
A bigger lean, means much more stress on the stand... and thats why it eventually folded....
Just calculate the bending forces at 5° and 15° for a Wing, perhaps 50 lbs vs 150 lbs ...
and BTB, a Goldwing weighs quite a bit more than a Silverwing.

So if you do heat it, and bend it... hmmm... make sure the "repaired" stand has not lost too much temper, and is still " Strong " enough ..

A better fix is to replace the shocks, I think.

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 pm

I was thinking the same thing as I wrote that - heating the stand is likely to weaken it, and if it's not annealed/tempered correctly, you could end up with a weak stand that could just snap off when you aren't expecting it.

I had a similar thing happen, many years ago, to my 1984 750 Interceptor. I had it on the center stand on a hot day, and the center stand sunk into the asphalt to the point that the bike just fell over.

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Interesting.....my '84 Interstate leaned too much on sidestand. Always seemed it was a struggle to stand it up, had to kind of jerk it up. I eventually drilled a small hole on the foot, and bolted a thick piece of rubber under it (about 3/4 inch), and slightly oversized, it also helps from sinking into the tar as easily. SS bolt.

thirdstorybase
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate

Postby thirdstorybase » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 pm

yeah, changing the shocks is the answer, my bike has much better angle now that i put the progressive 416's on it. before i changed them i was standing on the right side of the bike and it fell over into me. it was a strange moment to say the least. much better lean now even though it takes more to stand it up from the side stand.

mnwildman
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade

Postby mnwildman » Sat May 11, 2013 2:58 pm

I just took off with the kickstand down a couple of times and in no time at all the bike was leaning over more when using the side stand.

Unfortunately a few more times and now the bolt has sheared. Now my problem is finding a new bolt for the side stand. It is of course a discontinued part and none of the dealers have them anymore.

Does anyone know where to find a new side stand bolt? I think the part number is 90108-371-610.

Also is it pretty easy to install the progressive compression shocks? What do you do with the lines from the compressor?

WingAdmin wrote:I always thought the same thing about my 1100 - then I put a set of Progressive 416's in place of the tired old rear suspension, and suddenly the problem was fixed. Because the rear end was sagging so much from the tired springs, it made the bike sit upright quite a bit more when on the kickstand. Once it got lifted up from the new springs, it leaned over much better on the kickstand.

That said, if you REALLY want to modify the kickstand, instead of shortening it, I'd heat it near the top and bend it out ever so slightly. Lifting the kickstand foot even half an inch will make a fair difference in the overall lean of the bike when it is resting on it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 11, 2013 9:46 pm

mnwildman wrote:Also is it pretty easy to install the progressive compression shocks? What do you do with the lines from the compressor?

It's quite easy to install the Progressive shocks - they include fittings and lines to connect your old compressor lines to the new shocks.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”