trickle charger connection

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
flojo

trickle charger connection

Postby flojo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi,
any input on the proper way to connect the battery leads to a trickle charger so I dont have to take the shroud off after every ride? I imagine that some wires connected to the black and red terminals and run around the plastic would be a good start. I am wondering what gauge of wire should be used and should I cap the ends somehow when I disconnect the charger and am riding around--
thanks,
flojo

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: trickle charger connection

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 pm

If you get a good battery tender they come with a set of leads that connect to the battery. You did not say what year and style of bike you have. I have a 96 aspy and put the end inside my right saddle bag. The lead comes with a rubber cap so there wont be any problem about shorting it out. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

flojo

Postby flojo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey Hal,
thanks for the reply..I aleady have a good trickle charger but have no leads--had the charger awhile and don't remember if there were some leads with it or not-anyway I need to fabricate my own-any idea on the gauge of wire that would be best? I am sure i can figure a way to cap them so there is no short-
thanks,
flojo

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 am

The Battery Tender comes with a fused harness that connects directly to your battery, and has a polarized connector on the end. This connector has the ground lug exposed, and the +12V connection enclosed, so that it can't short out against the frame. It also has a cover that covers up the connectors when not being used, to prevent corrosion from weather exposure while riding.

Battery Tender Harness
Battery Tender Harness

I have cut my harness in order to extend it in my bike, and it is of extremely high quality (very fine, high count) wire. I'd guess 16 or 18 gauge, but it's made up of a lot of very, very fine wires. This both conducts current better, and makes the wire more flexible and resistant to damage. I was impressed at the very high quality of wire used, actually. 16 or 18 gauge wire is likely overkill, as the most current the Battery Tender provides is I think in the range of a couple of amps.

On my 1500, I wired mine so that it is permanently connected to the battery, and the connector is inside my left trunk-mounted compartment, so I can just flip down the lid of that compartment and plug in the wire. On my 1100, it's tucked behind the battery cover, so it can be pulled out when required, and tucked away when not required, without removing the battery cover.

Make sure whatever you install, that you put a fuse inline with the positive lead, and locate it as close to the battery as possible!

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 am

You can get a pair of these at most " Car" shops, like Canadian Tire , or Pep Boys, or at many marine shops.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pol ... ORM=IDFRIR

The hot, red, protected end should be on the bike, and the other on the charger.
I wired mine to hang down, capped, just beyond the back end of the side cover, so I can easily connect it without opening anything. Its almost invisible !!

SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”