Clicking noise coming from fuel pump?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bluesman46.2009
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Clicking noise coming from fuel pump?

Postby bluesman46.2009 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi All

I am new to this site and and to goldwings also. First I have to say what a great site and many thanks to all who participate by sharing your great experiance and knowledge of these bikes. I just purchased a 1986 GL 1200I with 71,000 miles on it. It is in great condition for it's age and milage. I bought it in North Port Fl last Tuesday and rode it 70 miles to Naples Fl and put it in the Honda dealer there to have a major service and go over it as well as new tires. It ran great on my trip there and the first 100 miles after I picked it up on Saturday. I was parking it last night and noticed a clicking sound but waited for it to cool an checked it out this am. I was hoping it was not valve noise!!. This am I started it up and an intermintant clicking was instant. I was at my moms and had no tools so I got 1 of her butter knifes and used as a stethascope and put it to my ear and touched the engine on the right side heads first. There was smooth and even humm no click. I touched the fuel pump and the click was very strong. I rode the bike home across alligator ally (I75) to my home in Miami this afternoon and it ran great but the noise is still there. Does any body have any suggestions? I also have read if you do not know how old or how many miles are on the timing belts you should replace them right away and every 5 years or 25K or you could lose you top end?

Thanks again to all and will contribute as well as as I learn more about these faulous machines!

Jeff G (AKA bluesman46.2009)

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Re: Clicking noise coming from fuel pump?

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Jeff.

Some clicking noise from the fuel pump is normal. Without actually hearing it myself, it's hard to say if there's a problem or not. If possible compare it to another GL1200 or have a local Wing mechanic take a listen.

As far as the timing belts, it's definitely a good idea to replace them if you don't know when they were changed last. When they break it causes some fairly expensive valve damage. The Honda service manual doesn't give a recommended replacement interval for the belts. This subject has come up several times at various Honda technical training classes that I've attended. The official word from the Honda District Service Mngrs. and the Honda instructors, is to replace the belts at 70,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. Also, replace the belt tensioner rollers at 70,000 miles.
As a side note, the few times where I've seen a broken timing belt, they broke at around 120,000 miles.

Another thing to watch for on the 1200's is the stator connector and the starter solenoid connector. Check the stator connector (3 yellow wires under the left side cover) for corrosion and heat damage. If you catch this in time it can save you from a $1200+ stator replacement (they're famous for this). The starter solenoid is located just behind the battery. Same thing, check it for corosion & heat damage.

Just my 2 cents
Ernie

bluesman46.2009

Postby bluesman46.2009 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 am

Hi Ernie

Thanks so much for your help. I just finished the timeing belts yesterday. My bkie has 71 K and the left belt was in poor shape with a large amount of rubber saw dust as well as a few nicks in the belt. The right belt was worn ans cracking but in much better shape. Is this unusal for on side to look much worse than the other? I did not know about replacing the tensioners at 70 but I checked them and they seemed ok. Would you worry about them if this was your bike or let ride untill you changed them again to replace them?

I had a bad fan switch so I replaced it as well as the t-stat and hoses while I had it apart doing the belts. I did not have the new O-rings for the water pump and t-stat covers so I reused the old ones and RTV silicone. I will see later today if it works. I let it set up over night and plan to fill it with coolent and test ride it today.

Thanks

Jeff G (AKA bluesman46)

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:32 am

Jeff

I wouldn't worry too much about the tensioner rollers. Haven't seen one go bad yet , even on bikes with 200,000+ miles. I would still replace them next time the belts are changed just as a precaution.

Regarding the belt wear, they normally wear pretty evenly. Not sure why they look so different.

Ernie

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:16 am

If the belt cover gaskets are leaking, and moisture is getting in under there, the tensioners can corrode, causing the bearings to fail. Mine were in OK shape the last time I did my belts, but I think the next time I replace them, I'll replace the tensioners as well.

I've read about people who have rebuilt them using off-the-shelf bearings, but I think for this critical area, I'll bite the bullet and buy some new ones.

bluesman46.2009

Postby bluesman46.2009 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:51 am

Hi All

Thanks for the info. I will definatly replace the tensioners next time I do the belts. I took for test ride pm last Sunday and all was ok. I had no leaks from the water pump cover and t-stat cover. I will have new O rings next time but the RTV silicone did the trick in a pinch.

I rode the bike south on the Fla turnpike to where it ends at Florida city about 35 miles each way. I went from 65 to 85 regularly and bike ran great with no noise from the belts so I guess I am ok.

Thanks for all your help

Jeff G (AKA bluesman46.2009)

DaveClayton
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby DaveClayton » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 am

So Jeff, did you ever determin what the clicking noise was? Is it still there or did it go away or is it a normal sound from the fule pump?

bluesman46.2009

Postby bluesman46.2009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:11 am

Hi Dave
I replaced the fuel filter (very dirty)first and that seemed to to quiet it down about 5o%. I had all ready purchased a fuel pump so I replaced that next and the clicking was gone. I think it was a combination of the fuel starving at the pump and the 25 year old pump.

FYI I learned the hard way when replacing your muffler gaskets make sure that they are far enuff back to cover the slots in your pipes or they will leak!

I also found a local place that does an excellent job of rechroming OEM stuff. They did all 6 exhuast shields for $290.00 and they look fantastic. If you want thier info shoot me an email.

Jeff

capnfred
Motorcycle: 84 aspencade, 84 HD FXRDG custom, 92 Aspy

Postby capnfred » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Normally the only time the fuel pump "clicks" is when it is starving for fuel... like for instance if you inadvertantly leave the shutoff valve off... it will click before the engine starves for lack of fuel... enjoy the bike they are great.

bluesman46.2009

Postby bluesman46.2009 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks Captnfred

I sort of half way figured that out after I bought a new pump! The filter was really clogged and I replaced it and about 50% of the clicking was gone.

Thanks

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”