Bleeding the brakes

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
vBreezo
Motorcycle: 1985 GoldWing 1200 LTD

Bleeding the brakes

Postby vBreezo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I have a 1985 Goldwing LTD. The foot brake pedal has excessive play. A local dealer bled the rear brake and the pedal play deceased to an acceptable level. Now the pedal play is excessive again; the dealer tells me the front brake should be bled also - they did not do it. The foot brake pedal activates the rear brakes and the left front disc. Their mechanic was too busy to look at it so I will do it myself - except I do not know how to do it and the owners manual does not mention it.

So please, advise me on this and also could there be any other reasons for excessive brake pedal play?

vBreezo

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Bleeding the brakes

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 pm

First thing welcome! And as far as your mech. would not let him work on it again. You should bleed your front brake first then the back one, I would get a mini vac from harbor freight it will make it a lot easier. If you open your rear master and have the dot 4 brake fluid ready,helps if you have someone to pour it in while you crack your bleeder valve. Attach your hose to your front bleeder valve and then crack the valve open and use the vac to pull the old fluid out until it gets clear. Then do the rear the same way until it comes out clear.then make sure its topped off and you should be good to go. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

vBreezo

Postby vBreezo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

HalBudd: Thankyou for the advice. The closest Harbor Freight is 38 miles away so I went to the closest town which is only 20 miles and got a "one-man" bleeder kit for $9.00 at an Advance Auto Parts store. It was not necessary to flush the system as the previous owner recently installed a new master cylinder and put in fresh brake fluid. I guess he either forgot to bleed the brakes or it has to be done more than once.

Using your tips, I was able to bleed the brakes myself. I now feel empowered and encouraged to handle my own routine maintenance and have ordered the Clymer GoldWing 1200 manual. I agree with you about the mechanic at the dealer. When I went back to inquire about the front brake not being bled, they apologized and gave me a free bottle of brake fluid. It appears that with an older M/C, the only person you can trust is yourself.

I will be coming back to this forum for more advice in the future. Hoping that all answers are as good as yours.

vBreezo

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:35 am

Yes sir! A free bottle of bake fluid for a mistake that could have put your life at risk. Heck of a deal. That's why my rides will never see the inside if a motorcycle shop of any kind. Good for you for doing it yourself.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Im glade you were able to get your brakes fixed, and when you get your manual Im sure you will be able to fix alot of stuff yourself and save some bucks. Good luck Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

joew7139
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A ASPENCADE

Postby joew7139 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 am

If the PO rebuilt the master cylinder and did not rebuild the calipers you could have some problems with fluid leaks at the calipers. Rebuilding the master cylinder may cause leaks from the increase in pressure at the calipers. Caliper rebuild kits are not unreasonably expensive and not dificult to install. The brakes are something you can't do without.
There are some good instructional guides on here.
P.S. Welcome.

vBreezo

Postby vBreezo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm

T Y JOEW; Yes, even after bleeding both front & rear brakes, I am still not satisfied with the 'feel' of the brakes. This is not my first touring bike and I know what to expect from my brakes. I have already ordered the Clymer manual for the 1200 and will be spending some time on a thorough brake system analysis. At $60/hour, I expected a bit more diligence from the dealer's mechanic but my bike kept being pushed aside while they worked on installing lights on some old dude's 1800 trike or on someone else's (with a newer machine) minor problem.

I probably should join a local GW owners club to connect with other owners of older rides.

R-von

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”