Electrical connector question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Electrical connector question

Postby harkgold » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 pm

During the process of restoring my 84 GL1200 Interstate I have discovered that some of the electrical connectors (such as the fuel gauge sensor for example) do not work simply because due to age the pin connectors have oxidized. After a simple cleaning and reconnect........presto......they work again.

I'm wondering about the wire lead connector for the Thermostatic Switch for the radiator fan and the wire lead connector for the Temperature gauge sensor.

Do these simply pull straight off to disconnect the wire from these sensors, or do they need to be twisted to the left or right and then pulled back from the snesor? Especially the wire connector to the thermostatic switch for the fan appears to be a large boot type of affair and I don't want to wreck it by trying to unplug the wire connector improperly. Proper disconnection procedures are rarely addressed in any of the manuals. Most just simply say "disconnect the wire leads" without specifically telling you how. I have seen connectors on cars that need to be first twisted to the left or right and then pulled straight off. Should I just assume that unless specified that the connectors just simply pull straight off the component?

Thanks,

Harkgold

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Electrical connector question

Postby bustedwing » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 pm

There are many different types of connectors and some you can recognize easily and others you have to study awhile . Usually if you look at them with a very good light and understand that the factory just wants to be fast, easy and secure. with the connections. it is not too hard to figure out how it comes apart without distroying the connection.I hope this helps. Bud.
Proud member Patriot Guard

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:50 am

The fan switch is pull off, there are two bayonet type pins under the large round cover.
the thermo sensor is also pull off. The aspencade has two spades one ground the other to the gauge, the Interstate has one pin, the body being ground.

The Interstate sensor can be used in the Aspencade providing the correct wire is used.

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 pm

As you work on cleaning your electrical connections, be sure and use a little die-electric grease on the connections to help stop the oxidized connectiors.

Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”