Question About Boiling the Radiator

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade, 1978 GL1000

Question About Boiling the Radiator

Postby Warrensocal » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:16 pm

My '84 Aspencade was overheating so I pulled the heads and one head was pitted and the gasket was blown. I don't know if that was causing it to overheat or if it was overheating and damaged the head. I've replaced the water pump and thermostat. I thought I would get the radiator re-cored or rodded out just to cover all the bases but I called a couple of places around where I live (Riverside, California) and was told that all they do is to boil the radiators. Does boiling really clean them out or do I need to keep searching until I find someone who will re-core or rod it out?

Re: Question About Boiling the Radiator

Postby tricky » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 am

Although I have had my 1200 from new and every two years would replace the coolant, at about 135,000k (85000M) mine blew a head gasket, of course trying to find what was causing the problem I had my rad into a shop to clean and inspect, the guy said it was absolutely clean and like brand new, they pressurized it and I re-installed it. Let a rad shop inspect and see if there is a problem.
There may be a corrosion problem exterior if you live near the coast.. me I am a long way from salt water.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”