GL1200LTD - with EFI - Fuel Filter

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

GL1200LTD - with EFI - Fuel Filter

Postby BikerNewsman » Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Does anyone know a good/dependable source for a non-Honda canister type fuel filter for this bike?

The local independent bike shops tell me they can only get one from Honda (at $50 (+) per pop, both AutoZone and Advance say there is no cross-reference for the Honda filter, and neither can get the Purolator F-50279 filter (no longer manufactured). I understand the Fram G-3969 is a close (slightly oversized) replacement, but AutoZone claims they can't get it and Advance wants an additional shipping charge to get it "from the factory". Advance ordered an IMG (IMC???) filter that was supposed to be a cross for the Purolator but it was nothing at all like the Honda filter, having both intake and output connections on the top.

"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Re: GL1200LTD - with EFI - Fuel Filter

Postby fastf » Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 pm

I have a 1200 ltd I don't like to advertise for Honda in the long run get what fits and don't cut corners as far as expense.Napa auto parts has a fuel filter for 1981-1982 civic fuel injected pretty close that is cheaper I came close to buying one it has been close to a year and a half ago as far as year the only thing was it wouldn't fit in the mounting bracket and I believe it was taller.I fanally broke down and bought it from a honda dealer.

BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks for your input fastf. I totally agree with you, however I have a specific purpose for a non-Honda fuel filter... to serve as a sacrificial filter for the first tank or two of fuel since my bike had been sitting for around 2 years without being run by it's PO. I purchased the Fram filter (slightly larger diameter than the Honda filter) mentioned in my post, and have been able to get it to fit sugly with no permanent modification to the mount. To a "non-purist" the adaptation isn't noticeable. I know in this economy a lot of people need to cut a corner or two to keep on the road, and since Fram is generally a dependable filter I hope to post information here, when time permits me to do so, regarding how to get it to fit without major modifications.
"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Postby fastf » Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm

On these bikes you cannot get aome parts for these bikes anymore from honda people including myself have had to go through different means to keep it going and going to these forums like this one and other people that have this bikes.If you can save a dollar you can put it somewhere else.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”