Final drive unit question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Final drive unit question

Postby harkgold » Sun May 06, 2012 10:14 pm

I pulled the rear wheel off of my '84 GL1200 Interstate and proceeded to clean up the swing arm are of the bike. Both rear shocks were obviously leaking because the rubber boots on both were wet with oil and years of grime; also another indicator was that neither rear shock would hold any kind of air pressure at all. As the oil slowly leaked from the shocks over time it turned the rear end of the bike into an oily grimy mess covering the outer housing of the final drive unit and swing arm with oil and dirt.

After pulling the rear wheel from the final drive housing it revealed a relatively clean interior case cover finding only a small amount of light oily dust that has accumulated behind the rubber dust guard. The spline side of the wheel is clean with no signs of oil being flung due to any serious leaking of final drive gear oil.

The concern I have is that my shop manual says "IF THERE ARE ANY TRACES OF OIL LEAKAGE, TAKE THE UNIT TO A DEALER FOR OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT".
My question is: am I seeing only normal dust and light oil accumulation on the surface of the final drive case cover behind the rear wheel axle and inside the final drive, or should this case cover be absolutely spotless underneath the rubber dust guard that encircles the housing? I'm thinking that oil from leaking shocks could have possibly found its way past the rubber dust guard as well.

I would think that if the oil seals within the final drive were leaking seriously that oil would be getting past the rubber dust cover and be flung all over the tire and wheel itself.

Any thoughts? Can anyone tell me how often they have had to replace internal oil seals in these final drive units? Anyone had any experiences with this?

Thanks!

Harkgold :?:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Final drive unit question

Postby virgilmobile » Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Not me....I've seen the same thing on all my wings to some degree.I think it's a normal weeping.It also keeps the seal lubed.
Personally,I'd grease everything,by the book.Change the gear oil and grease the drive shaft couplers and let it go.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 am

I agree. You'll also find the gear oil level will be low if it is leaking out in any quantity. Otherwise, the gear oil should not be going anywhere.

harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby harkgold » Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks guys for your response!
The things you mention must be the case because according to the previous owner, the oil level never seriously dropped nor did he feel the need to add any oil between changes.
Harkgold :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”