Clutch Problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Don A
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Clutch Problem

Postby Don A » Wed May 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Newbie here with a problem. I bought my first wing (87 GL1200 Aspencade with 67,XXX miles) in Feb. It'd been sitting about 5 years in a garage. Brought it home, did all the usual fluids, timing belt change, new battery, carb cleaning, ect. and after about a week of cleaning the exterior she looked and ran great. Now the problem. I've been riding this bike back and forth to work (about a 15 minute ride) and around on short runs of about 30 minutes. NEVER riding it hard, never over 60mph peroid. Today I got on and rode 3 miles to the local station and went inside to pick up something on my way to work. Ran perfect. Left the station and noticed on taking off it acted like i slipped the clutch just a little. (I'm an experienced rider, been riding over 30 years) Within a mile I noticed the rpm's being higher than usual. Within another 2 miles it was like the clutch was slipping so bad I was down to 20mph. I pulled off the side and luckily a friend was coming by with his truck and pulling a trailer on his way to the lumber yard and we loaded it up.

I'm guessing the clutch is shot. Right? It gave no noticible signs that I picked up on prior to this. If this is it what all will I need to get my girl back on the road. Just the plates or what all else. I don't want to short cut it with a patch job if I'm going to be into it that deep I want to do it right.

I joined this forum shortly after buying my wing and so far you all have answered any question I've had have been answered without me even have to ask. Your a great bunch and I hope one day I will be able to be of help out on here with my input.
Attachments
You all said you like pics so I included one.  She's not new but she's mine.
You all said you like pics so I included one. She's not new but she's mine.

damessor92
Motorcycle: none right now

Re: Clutch Problem

Postby damessor92 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:25 pm

id just get all new friction plates and and clutch plates

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed May 16, 2012 9:24 pm

From the way it " died" ........slowly, over several miles/minutes ... not "bang"
I'd suspect the slave ( or master) clutch cylinder(s)...

Fairly easy to do without tearing everything apart... and on a 25 yo machine probably a good idea anyway.

If new rubber diaphrams in either (both?) clutch cylinders does not fix it.....then a new set of plates ..
But always do the easy stuff first..........

SilverDave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GOLDWING- ... 0437704360
and :
http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/g ... %5D=custom

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 pm

This makes me wonder...Isn't the clutch master designed the same as the brake master.
If it is,does the lever feel tight right away?Kinda like the lever is already pulled in a little?
Mine has about 1/4" of travel pushing in the piston before I feel hydraulic pressure kicking in.
If it's like this,look inside the master cylinder for a very tiny pressure bleeder hole,just in front of the main one,I'll bet it's plugged up.
If you open the air bleeder screw and relieve a bit of lever movement,the clutch can be re-tested again till the fluid heats up and causes it to slip(a few miles).

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 am

I'm with Virgil on this one. Heat from the engine sitting and heat-soaking for a short time building up pressure in the hydraulic line, coupled with a clogged return port in the clutch master cylinder.

You'll know for sure this is the problem if you let the bike sit until it gets cold, then go ride it - if the problem is magically fixed, then you know that's what caused it (and it will return the next time you let the bike sit hot for a short time again).

Don A

Postby Don A » Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Got an update. In the interest of time I took the bike to a shop to have the fluids changed right after I got it. Appearently the shop didn't do anything to the clutch mc except top it off maybe. When I got it home from the shop I checked the level and all looked good and clean. I checked the fluid in the clutch mc last night after work and it was almost empty (maybe a teaspoon or so in it) and looked like black, oily, muddy water.

I thought if the master or slave cylinder went bad it would just keep it from clutching. The bike starts and runs perfect just wouldn't pull itself when in gear. Your can feel it try but it was like it's slipping. Haven't tried it since I brought it home yet though. I really appreciate you guys time and patients with me on this.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 pm

I'd be tempted to flush the whole system with new fluid and try it.
At worst,it may take removing the clutch slave cylinder and hand cleaning it if it's just stuck.This would include doing the master too.
Do not use brake cleaner in the lines to clean it....EVER.....Stuff like that can attack the rubber and ruin it.
I don't know of anything that could be used for sure ? maybe denatured alcohol???

Somebody chime in here... Is there a chemical that can be flushed through a brake system to clean the gunk out to free up a stuck slave cylinder ?????

Don A

Postby Don A » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

AHH OK, the light bulb finally lit I think. The rod in the slave is not releasing so it's staying clutched.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 17, 2012 6:25 pm

With me it's kinda like a nite lite.It starts to glow for a little while,then flickers a bit , THEN it blasts to it's full 4 watt luminosity. :)

It is possible with gunky fluid that's 25+ years old that it might be just stuck.Hey it happens on caliper pistons,why not on this one too.
At least it would be a lot cheaper to fix than a whole clutch.
Keep your fingers crossed(not your eyes) and let us know how it turns out.

Don A

Postby Don A » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Ok, had my mechanic put a slave cylinder kit in and a clutch master cylinder kit in. Looks like the master cylinder is shot, even with the kit. It won't pump up and bleed off. Tried bleeding it at the bleeder valves, the lines and banjo bleeding (are we missing a trick or two here?). He told me the inside was pitted really bad.

Now my question is, what years of Goldwing master cylinders will interchange on my 87 aspencade?

Don A

Postby Don A » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:44 am

Good News, The girl is back up and purring like a kitten. You guys hit the nail on the head. After rebuilding the slave I ended up buying another MC. The old one was pitted really bad on the inside. Even though the new MC looked good and clean I thought it best to go ahead and rebuild it. If really feels good to get the wind in my face again.

Just want to say "Thank You" to you guys. If not for you I'd put a whole new clutch and everything in her. You saved me time, headaches, and most of all money.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”