Bike will lung forward when starting in gear

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
sgrider
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Bike will lung forward when starting in gear

Postby sgrider » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:21 pm

It got a little warm today and I decided to start my 86 Aspencade. I am having a little trouble with the starter clutch (don't know if the cold is effecting it or not) so if it acts up I put it in gear and push the bike a little to get it to ingage. Normally I will start the bike in neutral but this time I didn't and yes I kind'a lost the bike (they are heavy but no damage) it lunged forward. When I bought the bike I did notice when you put it in gear it will lung forward just a little, the guy I bought it off of said it is a goldwing thing. Is there a problem or because bike has been sitting for awhile and it is cold out its just what it will do. As far as the starter clutch I can only hope it is the cold or I'm in for a real treat fixing it! :shock:

tricky

Re: Bike will lung forward when starting in gear

Postby tricky » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Hand on the front brake while engaging the gear lever.

They are cold brutes, a lighter oil could help in the type of weather we're have presently

sgrider

Postby sgrider » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:01 pm

tricky wrote:Hand on the front brake while engaging the gear lever.

They are cold brutes, a lighter oil could help in the type of weather we're have presently

So your saying this is natural? Its almost like you don't have the clutch lever pulled in.

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 pm

When you pulled the clutch lever I presume you did feel a little resistance :)

I use a synthetic oil and it is a heavy oil but in this weather if I tried to engage the gear it would sure thunk.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:54 am

The clutches are wet clutches, which means they are lubricated with engine oil. When the weather is cold, the oil is thick, so the cold, viscous oil, along with the tight tolerances of the multiplate clutch, couples some power through the clutch even though it may be disengaged. It's normal and fine - as long as it doesn't also happen when the engine is hot.

sgrider

Postby sgrider » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The clutches are wet clutches, which means they are lubricated with engine oil. When the weather is cold, the oil is thick, so the cold, viscous oil, along with the tight tolerances of the multiplate clutch, couples some power through the clutch even though it may be disengaged. It's normal and fine - as long as it doesn't also happen when the engine is hot.

Thanks for all the info, that will get off my mind. What about the starter when it tries to ingage, it makes a noise like it won't turn motor over but the starter is turning. Now I'm new to bike and I did have it when it was warmer and it didn't do this, or the cold is not effecting it and I will have to replace starter clutch. Just reading a little in repair manual, its not going to be easy.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm

sgrider wrote:Thanks for all the info, that will get off my mind. What about the starter when it tries to ingage, it makes a noise like it won't turn motor over but the starter is turning. Now I'm new to bike and I did have it when it was warmer and it didn't do this, or the cold is not effecting it and I will have to replace starter clutch. Just reading a little in repair manual, its not going to be easy.

So does the starter spin freely, and the engine doesn't turn? Or is the starter laboring - or just clicking? And does this only happen sometimes?

sgrider

Postby sgrider » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
sgrider wrote:Thanks for all the info, that will get off my mind. What about the starter when it tries to ingage, it makes a noise like it won't turn motor over but the starter is turning. Now I'm new to bike and I did have it when it was warmer and it didn't do this, or the cold is not effecting it and I will have to replace starter clutch. Just reading a little in repair manual, its not going to be easy.

So does the starter spin freely, and the engine doesn't turn? Or is the starter laboring - or just clicking? And does this only happen sometimes?

It does not click like a car starter that has low battery and it sounds like starter is turning but making a winning noise. You can tell its not turning motor over and it dosen't do it all the time, I think more when its cold outside.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm

This can be a sign of a starter clutch that is starting to go...which is not a good thing, because the engine has to come out to fix it.

Sometimes it's just oil sludge and gunge that builds up in there that causes this problem. I'd change the oil, put a can of Seafoam in the crankcase with the oil, go ride it for half an hour, then come home, drain the oil and put fresh oil in again. The Seafoam will dissolve a lot of the sludge and crap that collects in the engine, and you'll notice that the oil that comes out is filthy, even after just a half hour ride. You might even want to try that twice, just to make sure you get it all. If you're lucky, that will solve your starter problem.

sgrider

Postby sgrider » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:52 am

WingAdmin wrote:This can be a sign of a starter clutch that is starting to go...which is not a good thing, because the engine has to come out to fix it.

Sometimes it's just oil sludge and gunge that builds up in there that causes this problem. I'd change the oil, put a can of Seafoam in the crankcase with the oil, go ride it for half an hour, then come home, drain the oil and put fresh oil in again. The Seafoam will dissolve a lot of the sludge and crap that collects in the engine, and you'll notice that the oil that comes out is filthy, even after just a half hour ride. You might even want to try that twice, just to make sure you get it all. If you're lucky, that will solve your starter problem.

Thanks, I will give that a try when a little warmer and I can actually ride for 1/2 hour. Thanks again, Jeff

superdavesr
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby superdavesr » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:12 pm

The starter problem will also happen when cold and the oil is very thick. When I switched to Synthetic oil, the problem went away. Before that I would get the spinning happening when it got around 0 celcius. I always thought it was the bike telling me not to go out riding cause it was too cold. :D

sgrider

Postby sgrider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 am

superdavesr wrote:The starter problem will also happen when cold and the oil is very thick. When I switched to Synthetic oil, the problem went away. Before that I would get the spinning happening when it got around 0 celcius. I always thought it was the bike telling me not to go out riding cause it was too cold. :D

Thanks, I will probably still do the seafoam thing but on the second oil change I will take ur addvice and put synthetic in, its all I use in my car.
Thx, Jeff

skipp
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 APENCADE

Postby skipp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Just an FYI on the Syn oil. Make sure it does not say energy conserving in the round label. The energy conserving oil will make the wet clutch slip due to its make-up. I use the high milage Mobil One Syn-shifts smooth as glass with no slippage. There are several kinds out there like Rotella T or Amsoil-Good stuff...

Skipp

soumilino
Motorcycle: 1987 interstate

Postby soumilino » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:34 pm

just got my `87 interstate, did that once, so I tried ...pull clutch lever 2-3 times before morning start-up ,must pump up the hydraulic clutch? But that works fine!

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:50 pm

If your having to pump the clutch it needs bleeding.

I have seen these bikes come out of the shop needing the clutch bleeding.

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:56 am

I have had two wings now. 85 and 86 GL1200-A.
I always start a cold bike in nuteral. One reason being the cold oil and the drag caused on the wet clutch. After starting I pull the clutch in and either roll forward a little or backup just a little to break that tension, then drop it into gear. When I drop the bike into first gear I always get that big ol Goldwing clunk and the bike may learch a little when cold. First gear also has a whine to it when starting out. Even after my bike warms up I'll get a clunk when going from nuteral to first gear.
Now when the bike gets warm I always park in first gear. Acts as a parking brake. When I start back up I just pull in the clutch hit the starter and go.
Mooseman
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

sgrider

Postby sgrider » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I was worned about the clunk going into first gear when starting out. I just was not ready for that big of a lung, almost dropped bike. I have a Suzuki Boulevard (am I aloud to say that on this site?) and it dosen't do that so it took me by surprise. I've had the GW out several times this season and now getting use to its querks. The one thing I have noticed that I don't care for is the winning of the gears, all gears. Don't know if this is normal but I do love how comfortable the GW is.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”