Trouble with brake pad retaining pins

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Trouble with brake pad retaining pins

Postby trukr » Tue May 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I have an 84 aspencade and am trying to replace my brakepads. Everything came apart just fine, but one of the retaining pins seems to be stuck. The other came out with very little effort and I really dont want to start banging away on the caliper. Anyone have any tricks to get the stuck pin out? Thank you in advance.This is on the rear caliper by the way.These are also the pins that hold the pads in place, not the bolts that hold the caliper onto the bike. And yes I removed the retaining clip that holds the pins in place.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Trouble with brake pad retaining pins

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Have a look at these posts, which talk about the same problem.

trukr

Postby trukr » Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanx wingadmin this helps a lot I was just afraid to use a punch to knock it out. I'll give it a go in the morning. Wish me luck.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Whats happened is that the head of the pin has " mushroomed" just a bit : Probably from slamming and banging ...

Drift them out( Slam away ) , clean them up, and sand them down just a hair ... ....

After re-building one ( Front ) caliper on my wing and starting on the second, and rear Calipers.. I ( again ) noticed that the brake retainer pins were jammed in ( again ) ... and actually had to be drifted out. I used a phillips screwdriver shaft with a flat ground head to drift....Diameter 5.75 mm. but it was a lot of slamming and banging... Hmmmm

I had recently purchased a Digital caliper, and quickly found the problem ... The top of the shaft, first inch or so had " Mushroomed " to a diameter slightly larger than the hole !
The hole is 6.00, and the unmushroomed part of the shaft is around 5.98 or 5.99. The top of mine was 6.01 or 6.02...
No wonder it needed to be drifted!

I chucked the shaft in a drill press, and sanded it down, very carefully with strips of Wet-or-dry sanding cloth, until the entire shaft was the same diameter ... about 5.98 mm.. Then a light sanding with 1000 and 1500 to make them shine.

Then with just a touch of grease, or light oil, from fingertips... It slides right in, and out with just a light pull between two fingers.

so... why did this happen ??

I think ... If you or any other PO have ever drifted these pins in , or out, even with the exact correct drift, and careful , precise tapping, these pins are soft metal, and can easily mushroom.... They can even mushroom a bit, even while in the hole .
The way they were made, 25 years ago.. they are supposed to exactly fit the hole when covered with a thin film of oil ... and they are supposed to smoothly slide in... and out ..

... and now mine do !..... and so will yours, once you get them back to the " correct" size

SilverDave

trukr

Postby trukr » Wed May 23, 2012 11:52 am

Success! After a night of soaking with penetrating oil the pin came out fairly easily. Had some crud in the holes, all cleaned out and everything slid back in with just fingers. Job done and I rode to work today. Thanx for the input guys.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”