Tires

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
prc
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100
2011 KLR 650

Tires

Postby prc » Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 pm

I have ten year old Metzler Marathon tires on my '82 Interstate, the tread is hardly worn at all but I think they are past their prime and getting hard and non compliant.
Does any one have experience with Shinko, Avon or Conti tires on their wing?
Dunlops are out of the question for me, too much hype for a sub par tire, I have tried them in the past and they dont impress me. Anyway my wing is somewhat lighter than the norm so Im wondering if I can get away from a dedicated tour tire and get something that sticks better, I live in Portland Oregon and the dry riding season is only 90 -100 days long so I dont need a tire built for high mileage...LOL, but my tires do need to work well in the wet as well.
Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.
prc

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Tires

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Having read very good reviews about Avon Venoms, I put a set on my GL1100, and was blown away. Very smooth, quiet, grippy and good wearing. I was so impressed with them that when I got my GL1500, I put a set on it as well, with the same results.

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Tue May 22, 2012 7:31 pm

I agree with the Venoms. Yes, the older Dunlops are worthless, but they have improved with the Elite III's. Still leaves room for improvement, but decent for a cheaper tire. I'll be switching to the Venoms when mine wear out.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Another vote for the Avon Venoms, I liked them so much I put on 3 sets in a row. Good grip wet or dry and even in the snow for a bit. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 am

Ok then,
Thanks guys, looks like Avon Venoms may be the front runner.
Glad to hear that 'ol man Dunlop has improved, maybe another decade or two will bring them up to "also ran".
To this day (19 yrs after working in a shop) I still cant figure out why Dunlops are so popular...probably the Mc Donalds syndrome, "If everyone eats there, it MUST be good" When I first started riding in June 1977, Dunlops were THE tire to use. I tried to use them and like them, I figured it was my inexperience that made me uneasy on them, but then I tried Michelin, Conti, and Metzler and will never again consider Dunlop, too skittish, lousy wear/cupping and poor traction.

We at the shop all knew that customer hype does not tell the whole story, people are naturally prone to return positive feedback to a product that their peers endorse, even if they had a bad experience with the tires they are shy to admit it out of fear of being labeled "different or abnormal".
I am confident we will do our best to maintain honest evaluations of products we have used.
prc

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed May 23, 2012 6:58 am

I have a set of older Dunlop E2s on my 1000. 20k miles and absolutely no problems. No cupping, smooth true tracking, been through all kinds of weather, I even had a flat on the rear and it didn't go down. Very stiff sidewalls. Pulled a trailer for about 5k of those miles. Alas, not made any longer. If I could find a set I would buy them in a minute.
I know! Not helpful at all but makes you wonder why they stopped making them.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bwagner6
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A Aspencade

Postby bwagner6 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 pm

I Just ordered a set of Shinko 230 Tour Master for my GL1200.. They had great reviews and very reasonable. I will let you know how they handle.

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Yup - I also have the Dunlop E3's. Over 13k miles, highway and around town, Still thousands of miles to go and no cupping or odd wear spots. Not saying the venoms are not better or as good? Just that the E3's are O.K. with me!

twick23
Motorcycle: "1983 GL1100 INTERSTATE

Postby twick23 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 pm

I just got the Shinko's 230 touring on my 83 goldwing,,,about 700 miles on them and they are really nice, good in the rain also,,,got them on line for $160 for both with free shipping.

keltic111
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Postby keltic111 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I run the shinko's 230 on my suzuki and really like them, Had dunlopes before and they were the woest tires I have ever had. 7000 miles and they were shot. Had the E-3 on my wing only got 7-8 thousand miles out of them they slipped in the rain. switched to Bridgestones and really liked themhad 2 sets before I went to a car tire on the rear. Still use a stone on front.

bwagner6
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A Aspencade

Postby bwagner6 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 am

Installed the Shinko's yeaterday.... Quality looks good and they handel great... Found the best deal at Motorcycle Superstore.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 am

Shinko tourmaster is the best bang for the buck. Sticky like glue. Smooth ride, good in the rain.
On my LTD fully loaded two up about all the time, got a little over 6000 miles out of the rear. In comparison Ive run three sets of E3s and got 10,000 out each out of them but can run two rears Shinko for the price of one E3. Not impressed with Venoms myself. Didnt handle as well as the E3s or even close to the Shinkos. Running the mileage you are, Shinkos be the way to go.

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Kool, there seems to be a growing field of Shinko fans.
Are they bias ply or radial? Do I need radials?
Maybe I will try the Shinkos, funny thing is that I was cruising around yesterday and met a guy who is interested in buying an older Goldwing and he wanted to talk about bikes so we did. He is running the Avons on his Shadow and likes them for his commute which can be wet quite a bit of the time.
The way I see it, there are alot of different ways to be happy with your equipment, and if brand x makes one guy happy, great!

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:21 pm

The 230 tourmasters shinkos are bia ply with a heavier load range than an E3 dunlop. On 1100 and 1200 s stock tires are bias ply. Honestly its said you shouldnt try to run radials on these old bikes. I havent tried it.
The E3 or the Venom arent bad in the wet, just not nearly as grippy as the shinko 230.
All in what you want. :)

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby lake_harley » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:12 pm

I just posted my personal Shinko tire update on this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1752&start=25

Rather than go into detail here again, click on the link (hope it works) to read through it. The link is to page 2, but I made several posts regarding the Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires, so you may want to start at the beginning. In short, I'm really pleased with the Shinko tires.

Lynn

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 am

My 82 Interstate now has an Avon Venom on the front wheel :D , the Metzler me88 was just too old (11 yrs) to leave on there any longer. For months now I have been wondering if the age of the tire is causing the front end to feel out of sorts, and was debating buying a new tire to find out if it was the problem. So far I am very happy with the Avon, sticky enough, smooth and a good rep for being well built. The rear wheel will undergo the same treatment sometime before next Summer.

When I went to the MC Tire store, they specialize in MC tires only, the owner responded to my Shinko request with a quick "we dont sell Shinko" end of story!
Anyway he is justifiably proud of being an Avon dealer so I didnt hound him, just asked for the Avon and the rest is blissful rolling on.

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby lake_harley » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 am

prc wrote:When I went to the MC Tire store, they specialize in MC tires only, the owner responded to my Shinko request with a quick "we dont sell Shinko" end of story!
Anyway he is justifiably proud of being an Avon dealer so I didnt hound him, just asked for the Avon and the rest is blissful rolling on.

Hadn't been back to the forum recently.

Certainly nothing wrong with Avon tires. My son's bike is running Avons and they're doing really well in handling and wear.

Regarding the "we dont sell Shinko" comment. That could mean one of two things 1)They don't have access to Shinko, either direct or through a warehouse 2)Since it's a low price-point tire the profit margin (in $$ profit) is less than they want to make per tire

prc
2011 KLR 650

Postby prc » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah, most likely they see Shinko as a threat to higher price/margin tires.
My bike seems to be happy with the Avon so that makes me happy.
The sun is out for a few hours so Im going to leave for work early and cruise a bit. 8-)

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Or maybe they just don't sell Shinko....
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Keef » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 am

I ran a shinko 230 on my 750 Honda shadow and loved it. It balanced out with no weights! I will try a set on my new to me Wing when this set wears out. Tires need weights because, there is rubber missing, or components were snaked on in the building process, or stretched components.
I know this because I built tires @ Goodyear Fayetteville NC for 33 years. There built the same.........

tsmith325
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby tsmith325 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Let me step up on my soap box for just a moment. All the talk about tires is just a bit mis-leading. I am afraid someone out there is going to think if I buy "Brand X" tire, I will not have to worry about cupping. Or, "brand Y" will have a better tread life. The fact is that all tires sold in the United States must meet DOT specifications. For auto tires there are ratings for weight, speed, and traction. For the non-cage riders, we are only sold tires that meet minimum ratings. If you are convinced beyond a doubt that "brand z" is really all that much better it is easy enough to perform an imperical test yourself. I ride an '08 GL1800 AirBag model. This past summer I rode from Texas to Key West and back with my wife as passenger. I ran a Kumho on the rear, and the cheapest OEM Dunlop you can find on the front. Installing them brand new at the same time taking care to keep air pressure consistent, and I added glass beads for balance. I bought a new Dunlop Elite 3 to install after the trip but have not needed it yet. I have over 13K on that set of tires, good tread depth and no cupping. My point is, buy what you want, keep it well balanced and properly inflated and you will be safe and happy.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:17 pm

buy what you want, keep it well balanced and properly inflated and you will be safe and happy.

That is not quite correct. We all have to ride to the conditions, and different tyres are made to suit different conditions. You should find a tyre that suits the conditions that you ride in. Some softer compounds will provide 'stickiness' but not wear as long; while harder compounds may give you extra miles but be lousy in the wet. You have to select the tyres that are suitable for the conditions that you will ride in, and price should only be a third or fourth consideration.

It is always good to hear of others' experiences with different tyres, and try to relate that back to your conditions. I know that Canada is considerably cooler than where I live; UK is generally wetter; and USA has more deer (we dont have wild deer here - the kangaroos ate them all). So the warmer temperatures here will impact the tyres, differently to those elsewhere, but I still welcome input from a range of riding conditions.

But do keep the pressures right, and check the pressures and the state of the tyres frequently, to make sure you are safe.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Keef
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Keef » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:31 pm

keltic111 wrote:I run the shinko's 230 on my suzuki and really like them, Had dunlopes before and they were the woest tires I have ever had. 7000 miles and they were shot. Had the E-3 on my wing only got 7-8 thousand miles out of them they slipped in the rain. switched to Bridgestones and really liked themhad 2 sets before I went to a car tire on the rear. Still use a stone on front.

Would not use a car tire for either front or back. The side wall is very much thinner, than a MC tire. Could be very dangerous.
When it goes, it goes!!!

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:56 pm

In the 70's / 80's I always ran the Conti twins. At the time I felt they were the best combination of price and performance. I only had a rear slip a little once in the rain braking into a tight downhill turn. Funny how you remember those little moments. :lol:
Since then I have run a lot of different tires. A long time ago I bought a new GL1500 that came with Metzlers. After two days I took it back to the dealer and had them change them out for something else but I can't remember what any more. I do remember the noise of the metzlers any time I was riding beside a concrete divider.
Because I have made my living designing, building and installing sidecars, I have had a lot of experience using car tires on the rear mainly because of the wear factor hauling a sidecar. The only brand so far that I will not use for this is Michelin. They have, or had, extremely thin side walls and I have seen one blow out on the freeway. Yes the pressure was correct and the tire was fairly new. Because of the sidecar it was more of a bother than a danger. Yes I've heard all the arguments but I will not use a car tire on two wheels. My life is more important than the few dollars saved on tire life. Just my opinion.
Again, because of the additional wear on the rear tire hauling a sidecar, I often use a cheaper tire because they usually have harder rubber and last longer. Traction is not as important on three wheels so it saves a few dollars. The only thing you need to check is the load and speed rating of the tire you choose.
The best thing to come along for some time is the use of beads to balance whatever tire you are using. Dyna beads are the best I have used but I also installed some of the glass beads this past summer and so far they seem to be working ok too. If you have not tried them yet put them in the next set of tires and watch your tire life improve. I have used liquid balancers in tube type tires for years with similar results. The green slime also helps when you get a puncture. I will not say it stops the leak completely but it sure slows down the instant flat syndrome of tube type tires and has given me time to slow down and get off the road with some semblence of control. :roll:

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Lets add a little more specifics for a moment...How about on a 75 GL1000 with stock original spoked rims....Do I only look at non tubless tires? ,or can I run a tubeless tire with a tube?? It's been a long long time since I had non-tubeless rims to deal with. So on with the best tire for this situation..

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”