85 ltd TPS test.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

85 ltd TPS test.

Postby virgilmobile » Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 am

Here's the schematic for the throttle position sensor wiring.
I will do a best guess at it's function ....The ECM uses the TPS to determine where the throttle opening is at,along with other sensors( rpm,manifold pressure,engine temperature) the ECM controls the duration that the injectors stay open.
The TPS is essentially a volume control,just like in the radio.The further it's turned the more volts come out of it.
One side is 5 volts DC,The other side is ground.
The third will vary from near 0 volts to near 5 volts depending on the throttle position.
Should this control fail,the ECM may go to a "limp" mode....you know...Keep it running so you can get home.
Usually the ECM will display error codes by blinking lights on the ECM to help identify where it's having a problem.

Motorcycle: 1985 goldwing 1200 ltd efi

Re: 85 ltd TPS test.

Postby hbfowler » Tue May 29, 2012 4:54 pm

thanks for your help on the tps check,the color codes and the voltages worked out ok,so i guess ill have to keep investigating my problem when i reassemble the bike,found 1 problem with idle vacuum valve that sits in front of the fuel pump,it was slightly clogged with dirt,i guess a good rad flushing is in my future so hopefully that will cure my high idle problem,also checked my map sensors[pb sensors] they have 5 volts supplied but the voltage dosent drop when vacuum is applied.i guess they re not the same make up as most efi cars.there are no blinking lights on the ECM .i just got this bike [my first goldwing] and am definitely going to need a manuel on her,got a manuel on interstates but this is completely different. anyway just looking out the window and snow is starting to fall,so i guess i still got time to fix it .....thanks again....hbfowler@hotmail.com ST.Johns,Newfoundland,east coast of Canada

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”