New / Old Wing owner Radio/clock issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
apalachmac
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200

New / Old Wing owner Radio/clock issues

Postby apalachmac » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello everyone:
Can't thank you enough for this forum....It is extremely helpful

Just purchased a 85 1200 with 80K on it....Had not run in two years

As instructed by all of your good posts, I changed all fluids, filters,,and timing belts, flushed the tank and refilled and she runs like a clock

Now the problems.....I can't seem to remove the digital clock (clock not working) the key turns but the clock will not eject I don't want to put to much strain on the 28 year old plastic it might snap...What am I doing wrong?

Second problem is the original owner put in an aftermarket radio....When doing so cut a bunch of wires in the Left hand lower compartment. In this compartment there is what I believe Panasonic patch box for distributing out to driver/passenger microphones and headphones (Three each 5 pin connectors two female one male).......Also there is another box with two knobs on the exterior and two each 5 pin connectors one of each gender, and a black wire with a male connection...Can someone identify these devices?

Would like to bring this wing back to operating mode......All help will be appreciated

noycebj
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200

Re: New / Old Wing owner Radio/clock issues

Postby noycebj » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:20 am

I just pick myself up an 85 interstate that had been sitting for 13 years, same thing, didn't understand the key/removal systems. Ended up downloading the entire manual, schematics, etc.

The key is actually to remove the stock radio, not clock. in order to remove the clock, you need to disassemble the windshield, headlight, and behind the headlight is 4 nuts to secure the instrument cluster. remove those, along with the screws securing the speakers and the cluster cover will become loose. You can then disconnect the clock wires and detach the clock assembly from the cover, which then is pulled out from behind.

Hope this helps

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”