air shock levelling help

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jusarg
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 ltd

air shock levelling help

Postby jusarg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Ok, So I started tinkering with my 85 LTD and am trying to troubleshoot the auto levelling/air compressor. The LCD readout was just showing dotteted lines. The I pushed the p check button and the LCD started to read blinking b's then after a minute or two, e's.

Where do I start? How do I check if the compressor is running/or if the shocks are working?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wolf9553
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Limited Edition

Re: air shock levelling help

Postby wolf9553 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:46 am

Howdy to one and all. I just purchased an 85 GL1200L limited, with a few "minor" electrical issues. My first Goldwing was a 78 GL1000 which had no computerized stuff, but ran great! I also have an issue with the auto leveling system, it shows the dashed lines and that is all it does. When I put the switch in P it will allow the compressor to run and I can use it to pump up tires or whatever. I know that a lot of systems are interconnected but not sure the "no Speedometer" issue I have is tied into the auto leveling system. Any help would be appreciated as I don't know which one to start with first, The Speedometer or the Auto Levling system.

ResDog70
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Postby ResDog70 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:24 pm

wolf,

With the no speedo issue, do you see a display and it's just not reading a speed, or the display is not showing anything?

wolf9553

Postby wolf9553 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

OK ResDog, I fixed the Speedometer issue withg a replacement sensor
Heres the latest update on my 85 Limited Edition.
1. Have replaced the speedo sensor with sucess, It Works great!
2. Have rebuilt the Front Shocks, and have replaced the oil soaked Brake Pads, cleaned up the rotors. Road tested great.
Still having no luck on the cruise control, seems the on-off switch is stuck in the on(dash light indicates "Cruise Control" at all times), have tried a few short trips to try and engage the cruise control with no sucess.
I am starting to work on the Auto Leveling system hoping that will be something I can fix.
Turn on the ignition switch get the dashed lines on display.
Have tried to clean contacts on Handle bar switch, but no change.

mcsdriver12
Motorcycle: 85 LE

Postby mcsdriver12 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 am

Had the same issue with my 85 LE ,was working under the seat,cleaning wiring harnnesses and found one harness that was loose and dirty ,cleaned it and put dielectic grease on the contacts ,works ok now, go over all wiring harnesses clean with electronic spray cleaner and finish with dielectic grease,this helps with alot of issues.

wolf9553

Postby wolf9553 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks for the input. Have the seat off at this time so will start looking at connectors and wiring. I pulled the dash unit out and checked for bad connection there already, and took a look at all the connectors in the pocket. No change there. Didn't realize there were connectors in the rear. Of course there are sensors I haven't found yet. My manual doesn't give much Info on the Limited so I'm doing a lot of guessing on how things work . Just wish there was a better sorce for this bike. I have looked at everything available that I can but seems theres a lot missing for the Limited. Any and all help will be appreciated!!!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”