Solonoid wires - GL1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
scmoon
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Solonoid wires - GL1200

Postby scmoon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi, folks....

Looking for a little guidance here.....replaced my solonoid and resoldered my 4 wires that go onto the posts....but can't seem to get the right order as to what wire to what solonoid post. Can anyone assist quickly on this one...supposed to be heading out early in the morning on a charity ride.

My appreciation never falters as to the wealth of information on this site......kudos to WindAdmin and his band of owner/experts who are always ready to lend advice!

scmoon
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Solonoid wires - GL1200

Postby scmoon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Oh...my original harness wires I can ditinguish further up the bike....

Solid Red / Red & White / Green & Yellow / Black

hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

Postby hotwire » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 pm

You guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this may help: Your original solenoid wires: two smaller ones, green and yel/black are for the stater relay coil. To find the right terminals, use an ohm meter to go across two of the terminals,( probably the two in front, away from the big battery connections for the starter and battery), you should see some resistance value across the two terminals that operate the coil, as you will be reading the winding of the coil. The other two are probably going to read a dead short, as this is where the red and red/white will connect. In dead short I mean the meter will read no resistance, (0.1 ohms) for example. This is because these two wires feed the battery and are common in connection across the thirty amp main fuse. You should know when you get the sol. wires right, the engine will turn over. hope this helps.

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 pm

the front two spades are for the red & red and white wires, doesn't matter which one as they are coupled together under the plastic.

the other two go to the back spades and again really doesn't matter which one.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”