Instrument panel lighting question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Instrument panel lighting question

Postby harkgold » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Saturday I took the 84' GL1200 Interstate out for its initial shake-down run after seven months of restoration work. My brother-in-law Lyle followed on his '99 Honda Valkyrie just in case I encountered any mechanical problems. All went fine except for a few minor issues. The idle speed needed to be backed down just a hair, my much more experienced brother-in-law said that although the bike seemed to run beautiful to me, he felt the carbs still needed to be synced and that it would probably run even nicer. And lastly, I discovered that none of the back-lighting for the instrument panel worked at all. All of the individual dash lights worked fine; it's just that I discovered when dusk arrived and it began to get dark that the dash had no back lighting at all. Lyle said that he feels that since none of the four or five bulbs that make up the back lighting for the instrument panel are working, its an indicator to him that the problem could be within an electrical coupling that may have some corrosion inside. If two or three of the bulbs had been working, then he would possibly suspect a couple of burnt out bulbs. In this case none of the bulbs are working and the instrument panel is completely in the dark except for the individual indicator lights.
I see that according to my shop manual that the wire going to the instrument panel back lighting is a dark green wire and a brown and white wire.
Any idea where I would locate the harness couplings for the instrument panel that would have these color of wires in it?
I have already checked the obvious which would be the fuse box.
I'm hoping I can remedy this by cleaning an easily accessible coupling rather than tearing the entire front end of the bike apart to access the instrument panel.

Thanks for your help.

Harkgold

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Instrument panel lighting question

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 pm

It is possible that the electrical connector on the lower left inside of the faring has one bad connection in it.Mine lost all the back light also.One wire,the back light wire was corroded off the plug.I simply removed the left pocket and bypassed the plug with a new wire and attached both ends.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:04 pm

virgilmobile wrote:It is possible that the electrical connector on the lower left inside of the faring has one bad connection in it.Mine lost all the back light also.One wire,the back light wire was corroded off the plug.I simply removed the left pocket and bypassed the plug with a new wire and attached both ends.

Thanks Virgilmobile! I will check this out. I did see those connectors in the bottom of that pocket but didn't think to check the health and condition of them thinking that....well since they are enclosed in the pocket they must be alright.
Thanks for the tip!
Harkgold

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:14 pm

I even found the 4 wire plug to the left of the battery corroded.It's the pulse coil wires.As soon as I touched it the bike died.I've soldered them the same way as the 3 yellow stator wires.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:15 pm

virgilmobile wrote:I even found the 4 wire plug to the left of the battery corroded.It's the pulse coil wires.As soon as I touched it the bike died.I've soldered them the same way as the 3 yellow stator wires.

Thanks for the tip Virgilmobile!
I will check this one out as well.
Harkgold

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

virgilmobile wrote:It is possible that the electrical connector on the lower left inside of the faring has one bad connection in it.Mine lost all the back light also.One wire,the back light wire was corroded off the plug.I simply removed the left pocket and bypassed the plug with a new wire and attached both ends.

Ok Virgilmobile; here is what I found in the left pocket.......
Since I knew according to the wiring diagram in my shop manual that the dash lights are being powered by a dark green and a brown and white striped wire I looked for those in the bottom of the left hand pocket.
I found them going to a red colored 4 holed spade connector. This red connector had 4 holes on one side and 4 on the other. On one side I found a wire going into each of the 4 holes of this red spade connector. They were the dark green, brown and white, lite green with black stripe, and a red wire.
On the opposite side of this same 4 hole spade connector there was just one wire coming out of it. It is a long sky blue wire that runs from this red spade connector back up under the dash somewhere. This blue wire looked suspicious to me because as I pulled it from the red connector block I noticed that instead of having a spade on the end of it someone simply flattened the wires and soldered them together forming a makeshift spade and pushed it into the connector block. Almost as if this wire was installed by the previous owner to power something that he had installed himself. And as I thought about it more it occurred to me that the prior owner did install an after-market radio himself.
Anyway....when I pulled this blue wire loose (to check for corrosion) I just for the heck of it turned the ignition key to the "on" position and darkened the instrument panel with a jacket and PRESTO!!! I SUDDENLY HAD INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTS!!! Problem is.....I don't know why.
Also....I don't remember which of the 4 holes I pulled this blue wire out of and I'm wondering if I'm not disconnecting something else if I don't get this blue wire back in the correct hole and matched with its correct colored opposite wire in the connector block.
If this blue wire is in fact powering the radio, I'm not concerned about leaving it disconnected because the prior owner told me the radio did not work very well anyway, so I have no plans or even a desire to use the radio.
Is there a way of knowing what this blue wire went to and which hole or corresponding adjacent colored wire it needs to line up with in the connector?
Hope this makes sense.

Harkgold

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 am

I have a 84 interstate wit no options.AND I happen to have the faring off and the plug unbolted.
I will check tonight to see what I can find out.
You got the lights back because you moved the plug or wires and made a better contact for the brown wire.You still have impending problems.When things magically start working,it usually won't last.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 pm

virgilmobile wrote:I have a 84 interstate wit no options.AND I happen to have the faring off and the plug unbolted.
I will check tonight to see what I can find out.
You got the lights back because you moved the plug or wires and made a better contact for the brown wire.You still have impending problems.When things magically start working,it usually won't last.

Thanks Virgilmobile!
I will look forward to hearing what you discover on your bike.
Harkgold

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 pm

The only reference to blue in the front is for the head light high beam.Here's my pictures.The red wire that was corroded,was bypassed.It will operate my new radio.
large plug.contains back light,headlight,and 12 volts from the battery.RED wire
large plug.contains back light,headlight,and 12 volts from the battery.RED wire
The other side
The other side
the small plug
the small plug
Corroded green connections.The red wire terminal fell off
Corroded green connections.The red wire terminal fell off
Small flat file to remove the oxidation
Small flat file to remove the oxidation
Flushed and cleaned then a liberal amount of dielectric grease
Flushed and cleaned then a liberal amount of dielectric grease