My first,Post and goldwing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
MrMat64
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

My first,Post and goldwing

Postby MrMat64 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:28 pm

first day home
first day home
Hey all,
I am from the great state of Arkansas and recently purchased a 1985 GL1200 i.I have been reading the forums and checking pics this place has a bevvy of information,Thanks to everyone for that.I have started a rebuild and paint job on the bike it had some issues as it set for a few years before I bought it.I was able to get my hands on a 1986 1200 motor so made life easy just a R&R job there.some strange wire work was done but have that mostly sorted out. the back brakes want to grab so I have to pull the caliper and clean with a possible rebuild ,my main need will be the front forks as they are bent looks as if it was a dead hit to front wheel (maybe a bad parking job at high rate of speed)when I have it all back I will have quite a few parts left over.I am going to upload some pics if it is too many for the post if wingadmin will let me know I will move them.
wow didn't know I was so long winded.
Ride safe yall.
in the shop
in the shop
other side
other side
start pulling parts
start pulling parts

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: My first,Post and goldwing

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Welcome to the club, the forks do look a little bent, but I suspect it was much more than a high speed parking bump!! The forks are quite strong..

You already look to have made a lot of progress, do remember that a lot of forks can be rolled back straight if you can't find reasonable priced replacement parts.. Do keep the pictures coming, we all like to see bikes stripped down and put back together, especially the older bikes..

Gary

MrMat64

Postby MrMat64 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Gary,
Well it is slow going but I have everything sanded and just need to clean it and should start priming tomorrow :roll: .I am going to post a few pics there is quite an assortment but you will get the ideal. This is almost like work at times, but then I have this over optimistic picture of the finished job 8-) and keep slugging along.
kina as an after thought I saw a 1500 motor on craigslist and was wondering if it would have fit in my bike I don't want more power but the reverse sounded good lol.
the new color
the new color
ready for prime time
ready for prime time
pain to strip and sand
pain to strip and sand
waiting to be dressed
waiting to be dressed

bobberwing
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate

Postby bobberwing » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Hey man I'm new to this forum also. I bought a 84 Interstate recently and am making a bobber out of it. I to am having fork woes. I tried to replace seals with out pulling upper fork. Was unable to get seals to seat after several tries. I guess I will take to Honda dealer if I can't figure it out. Anyway having some fun and learning quite a bit along the way.I have the starter out and am going to attempt to rebuild it as soon as parts arrive.

MrMat64

Postby MrMat64 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Bobber,
I hope your rebuild goes smooth if you have any trouble with that starter let me know I have an extra I will be letting go of soon and have a few other engine parts as well.when you get yours all striped down if you have a few spare parts let me know about them maybe we can work something out.
well if it wasn't 90 degrees here today and I wasn't lazy I would be ready to get the coat of primer on but it is and I am so might be late tonight or tomorrow before I can bring myself to mix the paint.
looks like prime canidate
looks like prime canidate

bobberwing
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate

Postby bobberwing » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm going to paint mine matte black with a rattle can. Just having some fun with it. I have an 08 Wing for touring duty. The pic of yours stripped down looks like mine minus the front forks. Took them to Honda today to get sorted out. Got my wide whitewalls on and pulled the exhaust from headpipe back. Trying to get some ideas for mufflers but may just run straight pipes. I havent started it since I took starter of so not sure how loud it will be with straight pipes. I have several aftermarket chrome pieces and lights etc. but not the prettiest from sitting around a while. I'm keeping side bags so I can use it as a bagger if need be. Fairing is cracked on one side so would'nt be of much use. Cant wait to see the looks on the local Harley riders faces when its finished. I am wondering though what to do with all that wiring to hide some of it. I wonder if some of it could be eliminated without causing bike not to run? Any ideas?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”