water leak

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 goldwing
1982 cb900

water leak

Postby rich2481 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Just bought last week a 1984 GL1200 brought it back home in the rain, and this weekend was the first time the GF and I have really taken it out,, the PO who claimed he just loved the bike and wiped it down each day,,,,, must have been drunk,,, we left on a 150 miler this AM, I checked shock pressure ( none ) and tire pressure ( low), after blowing up everything and checking oil,, we set off,, when I went to store my gloves I noticed no water in the overflow,, which I believe there wasnt any before the trip, so I filled it with water as a pre-caution although I had driven the bike 120 miles home last week and no problems and at this point had logged 90 miles,, we got home ( 150 mile trip) and she say " something dripping" I tried reaching up underneath but came back with wet grimey hands, so I figure maybe the 26 yo plastic container is cracked,,

sooo is there an easy way to get this out.

My other bike is a CB900 and it is truly sad we got on another bike and I think it is laughing that the GL has a water leak.

I hope to get some great knowledge and info,, I am very capable of wrenching anything.

Regards in advance

Rich and his faithful sidekick Sandy..

Re: water leak

Postby tricky » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:19 am

You will need to remove the false tank

I see this is a standard non fairing model, The following show how to remove the top compartment with the fairing models , it cant be much different.
Removing top compartment

Changing the coolant

I usually change the coolant every two years.

A small price to pay for a clean cooling system.

You may be able to repair the over flow tank if it hasnt become too brittle

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”