Need problem with starter wiring 84 GL1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
shockdo
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 goldwing interstate

Need problem with starter wiring 84 GL1200

Postby shockdo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I need help fixing a wierd wiring problem. This all started with trying to start my bike with a low battery. I charged the battery and tried to start again, nothing when starter button was pushed. I was was told to check the starter relay by using a jumper to see if it would turn over and it did. I replaced the relay but had the plug turned wrong and when I connected the battery it seemed to spark alot and boiled the battery. Before I got it disconnected some smoke came from behind the cover on that side. I checked and found the connector for the stator was burned. I removed the connector and soilder the wires together. Changed the plug on the relay and the head light came back on. I tried starting, the head light went out and nothing happened. I thought I took the relay out again, so I got another one. Hooked wires up as showed and went to hook the battery up and it started to heat up again. I disconnected and was testing the red main wires and found one with the key on was reading negative. With key off wire was dead. I started looking for a short. I found a connector on the fairing right side close to the key, disconnected and tested the red problem wire. The wire tested ok with ome meter and no short when grounded. So with all told, any ideas what is causing this or what to test next?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Need problem with starter wiring 84 GL1200

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:59 am

First off the stator plug is not related to your battery problem - it only comes into play when the engine is actually running. If the engine is not running, there is no power going through the stator plug.

Next...you say you are reading NEGATIVE voltage at the red wire when the key is turned on? If this is the case, is it possible that when you charged the battery, you had the charger leads on backward (red on negative, black on positive)? If you charge a lead-acid battery backward like this, it is possible to force the battery to take on a negative charge. If that's the case, all bets are off as to what your problem is.

Measure the battery voltage right at the terminals and make sure it is not showing a negative charge between the battery positive and negative terminals.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

If the battery were hooked up to be charged reversed polarity,it probably shorted the regulator diodes.This explanes the smoking stator wires.
Remove the battery and have it load tested at your favorite store...
Unplug the regulator for the next try.
And yes,a dead lead acid battery can be reverse charged.

shockdo
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 goldwing interstate

Postby shockdo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks but I do know how to correctly charge a battery. The thing is even without the battery in the bike -
1) With the red lead tester on the red relay wire and black tester lead on the bike battery negative ground. (Note: battery is not in bike)
2) With key on and meter to ohms it show a reading!
3) The key off and nothing.
It would have to be back feeding from the key or another componet that when the key is "on" creates this problem. I really don't want to strip the tape off all of the harness to find nothing. I was hoping maybe someone else had something close and could tell me what they had found. Thanks again for the advise I'll keep working at it!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 am

shockdo wrote:Thanks but I do know how to correctly charge a battery. The thing is even without the battery in the bike -
1) With the red lead tester on the red relay wire and black tester lead on the bike battery negative ground. (Note: battery is not in bike)
2) With key on and meter to ohms it show a reading!
3) The key off and nothing.
It would have to be back feeding from the key or another componet that when the key is "on" creates this problem. I really don't want to strip the tape off all of the harness to find nothing. I was hoping maybe someone else had something close and could tell me what they had found. Thanks again for the advise I'll keep working at it!

OK, that's normal. When the key is on, the red relay wire is connected to the +12V bus for the entire bike. Electrical components (headlight being a big one) will bridge between the red wire and ground. So if you are measuring OHMS between red and ground when the key is on, you SHOULD see a reading. If you didn't, there would be a problem.

Take all the fuses out and repeat your test, and you should show zero ohms between the red wire and ground with the keyswitch on. If you don't, that can indicate a short somewhere.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”