Hello All

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Hello All

Postby CharlaineC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:38 pm

I just found and joined your wonderful site after searching for information on my 1987 GL1200 GoldWing Aspencade. I'm not a new rider just a very very Rusty. I Rode a GoldWing as a U.S ARMY Military Police officer from 1998-2001. From 2002-2006 I served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm home now and recovered, as best as I can from my physical injuries and currently working on my mental. As a gift to myself I bought this beauty of a bike. She's a beautiful and alluring metallic burgundy with so many bells and whistles its a tad over whelming.

Shes in need of some body work and maybe a tune up but she runs like a champ.
The reason I came here was for a few miner things like finding out to fix a squishy front break. ( the rear seam fine and I know that the right foot break is linked to the front breaks. ) 8573687270
I'm also looking to find out how to fix the switches on the left side. I was told that they where for the vents and that they didn't work. The lighter port is out as well. I know most of this is trivial but i would like to restore her over time.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Hello All

Postby HALBUDD » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Welcome and from one vet to another glad to hear your going to be ok, Goldwings are the best cure for what ever problems we have except when they are being bad girls and not wanting to run. If you can find a shop manual it will help,but there are a lot of guys and gals here to help. Good Luck with your new to you bike. Hal P.S. we like pics lots of pics.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Let me post some pictures of my new baby "Kathy" as i call her. I named her after my late beloved. Any who. I'll add some more after I get home tomorrow from the Va I'm hoping to find a junk yard near me that has a wing which I can use to replace some of the worn plastics and such from as well as locate a user Manuel and a windshield vent that fits into the vent hole on my baby.

Ok so here is the side that I'm unsure of what these left hand side switches are for, as the one i used to ride had a police radio in this location so any help would be great as well as how to test them

This is the right hand side unknown switch panel. I do know that the nipple looking cover comes off, while the one next to it is a button

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Well as you can tell She is a beautiful and sexy machine. If I may I'd like to ask a few questions in the hopes to getting knowledgeable advice and help for more experienced owners. Thank you for your time.

1. What is a good place to find replacement plastics such as the chrome covered vents and such or is it better to just send them out and be redone?
2. Is it worth the money to have the chrome the real chrome redone?
3. Do the headlight clearing kits work on the turn signal lenses?
4. Is there a way to replace labels and nameplates?
5. Are the headsets worth investing in?
6. Are sidecars still made to fit this model?

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:40 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your service to the USA.
A sidecar you may want check here: http://www.velorexusa.com/
I have three places where you can locate parts:
http://www.usedgoldwingparts.com/
http://www.goldwingking.com/
http://www.straightwings.com/
Some chrome parts may be hard to find and can be rechromed.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 am

On the right-hand side, the 'nipple looking thing with the cover that comes off' is the on-board air compressor outlet. The button to it's right turns it on (but I think it's only when you keep it pressed in - mine says not to press for more than 5 minutes).

Left-hand side I'm not so sure. That's where stock CBs are located. My '85 LTD has a cover where the top two knobs are, but I think they were labeled for the am/fm radio.

If you need to look up parts diagrams, www.fmscycles.com has an online parts catalog. '84 is still listed.

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:31 am

Phunnybone wrote: If you need to look up parts diagrams, http://www.fmscycles.com has an online parts catalog. '84 is still listed.

Is this the same for the 1987 GoldWing Aspencade. When I depress the button nothing happens even when the valve stem is removed. This morning I started her up and got her warmed up and tried the compressor. I plan on finding a Honda dealership to have someone take a fine tooth through her. I did find some wires that where cut and spliced some on the right side after the compartment is removed. I also found a secondary fuse adapter that is missing one fuse in one and has a 30 amp in the other side. They are set up positive and negative but I am not sure where it goes. I do plan on trying a 30 amp in the empty socket which is the negative to see what it does.

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:47 pm

The fmscycles link is to our local Honda Motorcycle dealership. You can choose your year and model and see the diagrams and part numbers and how much they cost. I think their diagrams go back to 1981.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 pm

The panel on the right side of your bike is your on board air compressor and the lay out is this. Upper left button is to check the front air shock pressure.The left lower is to check your rear air shocks.Upper right is increase pressure. And lower right is decrease air pressure. The bottom left round cap is your air valve out let. The bottom right next to it is air outlet push on.If you start your bike on the center stand push the top left button in and hold it you will see a display on your dash showing the air pressure in the front shocks,push and hold the lower left button and the display will show your pressure in the rear shocks. To increase or decrease use the right buttons. If your pump is still working you should be able to hear it running,but your bike has to be running or the key turned on to get the pump to work. As for the left side buttons they are probably add on for lights or some other add ons. Hope this helps. Hal P.S. if you take that chrome plate off of the right side you will see the markings and a small chart on pressure range.and like the pink nails haha
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:40 pm

If you really want to get to know your bike you can do this -

Then if you take the false tank off you get to see this -

Haven't ventured into removing the fuel tank... yet. ;)

I'm not the least bit interested in getting my bike back to the way she used to be. Lol

Hope you find all the parts, and advice, you need.
Happy Riding!! :)
"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

CharlaineC
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:56 pm

BikerNewsman wrote:If you really want to get to know your bike you can do this -
104_3400-Reduced.jpg

Then if you take the false tank off you get to see this -
103_3239-Reduced.jpg

Haven't ventured into removing the fuel tank... yet. ;)

I'm not the least bit interested in getting my bike back to the way she used to be. Lol

Hope you find all the parts, and advice, you need.
Happy Riding!! :)

thanks biker. ummm what are you doing to that poor goldwing ltd? even better question can i have the cb and its controlls lol. is that like a parts bike?

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 am

I'm thinking that by 'not getting it back the way she used to be' means it was probably in poor running condition and he's fixing her up to be a lot better.

BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Phunnybone's right. It's gone from "needs a couple of things" to my project bike. The PO let it sit for over two years in their garage. It had a lot of mouse damage to correct. Tires were dry rotting so I had to pull them. In the process I found I needed to rebuild the brake master cylinders, so I've done that. Need to replace the dessicant in the air compressor dryer. Got some great help HERE figuring that out. Then, just when I thought it was ready to ride I forgot to remove the battery charger while replacing the false tank and accidentally sent electricity throughout the charging circuit soooooooo that's what I'm working on correcting right now. Not complaining a bit. I've enjoyed every minute, well hour... no weeks of it. :D Seriously, I do enjoy working on it, and after doing all of this I have come to know this bike very well, especially after all the assistance received from members here. That's a good thing since I plan on having it on the road a LOT once it's road ready.

Sooner or later I'll get around to posting the complete process for each thing I've corrected or replaced so somebody else that may encounter the same problem(s) can have even more resources to help them along.

"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”