Clutch Replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Gimpybiker
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Clutch Replacement

Postby Gimpybiker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:24 pm

I traded for my '84 GL1200 last August and it ran fine. I rode the bike for a week before I figured out that there was no engine coolant in the system. The gauge I was told hadn't worked for the guy I got the bike from. I put coolant in and it ran fine for a few more days when the clutch started slipping spuratically. I would take off from a stoplight and be ok as long as I kept the rpms under 3000. I did rebuild the slave cyclinder and the master cyclinder, it helped but didn't completely fix the problem. I decide over the winter I would pull the engine and fix the clutch and replace the stator while I had the engine out. I bought the parts I thought I would need off of ebay because it was a lot cheaper. After 4 and a half hours my step-dad and I got the engine out and had the clutch pack out. We found the real problem very quickly when we started disassembling the clutch pack. The rivots on the spring plate had popped loose and stacked up the spacers on one side of the pack so the clutch would engage and disengage constanly. This spring plate is no longer in production as it is the weak link in the pack. After talking to several mechanics my step-dad and I decided to put a couple clutch disks (the metal rings not the friction plates). Once the bike was back together the clutch was different and was really grabby. After bleeding the slave cyclinder again just to be sure there was no air in the system I rode it for awhile. The bike wanted to creep at stop lights so I just clampped down on the front bake to hold the bike. After about 500-750 miles the creeping has almost stopped and the clutch holds great all the way to redline.

I'm thinking that the engine getting hot when it didn't have coolant in the engine caused the rivots to pull out of the plate. I did find that the temp gauge was unplugged from the sensor and it now works after plugging it back in. I do suggest that if some rebuilds the clutch that the spring plate be removed so that that this weak link is out of the pack. I have also put a new regualtor, Progressive 416 air shock (well worth the money), and a Dunlop Elite 3 tire. This is a great bike and has very nice power it is just frustating when the parts needed aren't in production, but I think my bike is fixed as good as new and the spring plate won't be a problem. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Good luck,
Gimpybiker

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clutch Replacement

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:07 am

Sounds like you came up with a workable solution for your clutch. I've heard of the rivet problem in GL1200's before, so yours isn't an isolated case.

Did it really run with absolutely no coolant, or was there at least some in it? I find it hard to believe that the engine ran with no coolant at all for any length of time without severe damage - cracked or warped case/heads, etc. These bikes produce an awful lot of heat during normal riding.

Gimpybiker

Postby Gimpybiker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 pm

There may have been some coolant but not much at all. It doesn't seem to have any trouble at all. I have been riding it about everyday to work since it saves gas and is alot more fun to drive. :D

Gimpybiker

Postby Gimpybiker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 pm

I just want to add that I think these Goldwings seem to be very durable and smooth running bikes. The engine is the one thing that hasn't had much trouble. I have had to touch just about everything else around or attached to the engine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”