Battery went dead

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ftmaslo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200a aspencade

Battery went dead

Postby ftmaslo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 pm

While driving my battery went dead and stalled. A good samaritan jumped the battery and it started. While on my way home the bike started to after-fire and then quit. At home I charged the battery. My maintenance manual said to check the battery first by disconnecting the negative cable and check for voltage between the cable and negative post. There shouldn't be any, well I get 12 volts. I then disconnected the starter relay, then I didn't get any voltage. I reconnected the starter relay and disconnected the voltage regulator (the alternator is disconnected), now I get voltage between the negative post and cable. Do I have a short in the wiring or what? Appreciate any help.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Battery went dead

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 pm

There are different ways to test things.I suspect the "measuring"may have been intended for amps not volts.
Yes ,if you use a AMP meter as described,it should read Zero with the bike off.
It is so much easier to read the DC volts on the "good" battery still hooked up.
Expect 12.8 key off.
12.2-13.5 at 1000 rpm.
13-14.5 at 3500 rpm.... Or so...
If you are not charging.eg .volts don't go above 13 volts.We need to dig into the stator and regulator circuits.
Fortunately there only a few tests to do to determine what's bad.
Read the volts and let us know...we can direct you to the next tests.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 pm

More importantly is why the battery went dead in the first place. With everything back in place, start the bike up, and while holding the engine at around 3,000 RPM, using a voltmeter measure across the positive and negative battery terminals.

goldwinger1
Motorcycle: 2002 GL-1800

Postby goldwinger1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Check this part out too ....to the right of your battery is your solenoid plug. Up under the black rubber boot are 4 wires....One Large RED wire and One Large Red & Black wire with 2 smaller wires behind them....... The large REd & Black wire is the one that charges your battery and it Can and will eventually melt and then your battery will not charge even if the stator checks out good..........and your battery will die just like yours did out on a ride.......
The reason the Large Red and Black wire melts is because the two large wires (Red and the Red/Black) are made to the same lug inside the plug and it will build up resistance from dirt and moisture just like the orginal stator plugs did ....... HONDA came out with a UPDATED Solenoid Plug AND the updated plug ONLY has 3 wires in it instead of 4. WHEN you order the updated solenoid plug you will get ONLY the Top half of the new plug so you have to reuse your orginal bottom half of the plug.....
What you have to do if the large Red/Black wire in the solenoid plug has melted is Cut out the bad part of the wire and then strip a section of the Large Red wire and Solder the Large Red/Black wire INTO the large Red wire making a T-intersection in the red wire...........NOW the Large Red wire will be the one charging your battery and there will be no more heat build up in that plug ......... IF you will do this upgrade to the updated solenoid plug and use dielectric grease in that plug and make sure you have taken the stator plug out of the system and soldered those 3 yellow wires together, you should have no more problems for a Long time....I DID everything I staterd above to my 87 1200 and had 85K trouble free miles. Hope this helps......Ask your Honda dealer for a UPDATED Solenoid Plug -==it only has 3 wires instead of 4.
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Jesse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200
Interstate

Postby Jesse » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for all the info. Will try it all and see what happens.

goldwinger1
Motorcycle: 2002 GL-1800

Postby goldwinger1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 am

Hey Guys , Sorry but I need to make a correction in my previous post....... I meant to say the Large Red/White wire will melt instead of the large Red/Black wire........I didn't see any way to edit the post at the time......
Buzzsaw.

Buzzsaw

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”