Wont start after riding and it gets hot

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Possum51
Motorcycle: 04 Harley-Davidson Road King

Wont start after riding and it gets hot

Postby Possum51 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I noticed the starter seeming to drag a bit after riding a while the last day or two, today once the engine got to operating temp it acted like the battery was weak and wouldn't start. Just to make sure I took the battery and had it tested, it tested Good, but needs charge and I noticed the acid level was low in most of the battery cells. So I got some distilled water topped off the battery and put it on charge. I am hoping thats all it was, I know 84 -87 GL1200 had issue with the stators, I am hoping that its not the stator or a dragging starter. Any other ideas would be very helpful.

Rick.....

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Wont start after riding and it gets hot

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Low fluid level will diminish battery capacity.
If your starting to question the bike,you might as well check it out.
Look at the stator wires next to the battery...Has the plug been removed and the wires soldered?
Is it charging properly? Testing with a DVM or amp meter?
Have you replaced the timing belts in the last 3 years or 30k miles?
Can you remove the starter,clean and lube it as preventive maintenance?

Oh and by the way....Personally I don't believe for one minute that any of the 1000-1200 bikes had "issues" with the stator itself.
It's just a coil of wire.....Failure in how it's loaded and electrically connected is the cause of it's demise,NOT a design flaw.
You know,wire corrosion,arcy-sparky,loss of current,overloaded, etc.
These things will cause premature failure of anything,even switches.
My 84 has 114k miles and charges perfectly.I have no add-ons and only soldered every connection in the charging system and bypassed the regulator sense circuit with a relay as a modification in design.
It is rock steady..period.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 pm

I pulled the battery topped off the cells with distilled water and charged it for 2 or 3 hours and so far so good. The stator does seems to have been replaced at some point ( I just bought the bike) and the stator wires were soldered back together, but I did find one of the wires with no shrink tube or black tape over the connection and I corrected that. At some point someone added a bunch of accessories. There are at least 5 wires connected to the positive post. I am going to pull the seat see what they go to and if its something I don't wont or the bike don't need I am going to get rid of them. I am even pulling the radio, never cared for a radio on a bike (its an aftermarket and looks bad sticking out the way it does).
Rick.....

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm a little concerned about the low battery fluid level.
You might measure the battery contacts for DC volts at 3500 rpm.It should peak around 14.3 volts.If it's over 14.8 volts,it will need to be fixed.
There is a known problem with electrical connections that will cause the regulator to overcharge the battery and essentially boil it dry.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks VM, I used my brothers volt meter but it isn't working right. As soon as I can I'm getting one I know is good and checking the voltage output at the battery both at idle and at 3500 rpm. Let you know what I find out. Also want to thank everyone else for all the help / tips I've been getting !!! Really glad I found this site !!!
Rick.....

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Had a similar problem with my 84 Interstate. Former owner had the starter professionally rebuilt not long before I bought it. Problem still persisted. When bike has been ridden, and is hot, starter would not turn. It seemed like a weak battery. However, the battery spun the starter with no problem when cold. I removed the starter and cleaned/lubed it. No difference. Someone suggested lighter weight oil, due to the fact the starter connects to the engine via a sprocket and chain inside the engine case. They argued that lighter oil would ease the strain on the starter. I did not try this, and have doubts if it would help. Someone else suggested, based on experience, to replace battery with a top of the line battery, higher cranking amps. This I did do. I got a top of the line Yuasa battery. Have never had problems with starter since.
Just my 2 cents worth.....your problem might have other cause.
As far as I have read, the '84 had problems with starter. Cheaply made (china or something), small wire gauge in windings = high resistance, especially when hot.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:27 pm

as it turns out the battery isn't any good. When tested it shows 12+ volts, but no amps, so getting new battery tomorrow. Its an 84 and been rode hard so the compartments on the fairing somewhere along the line were broken and someone just used black duct tape to cover them. What I am going to do it get some diamond plate, cut to cover the holes and then spray them with flat black before mounting. Going to mount in a way so that if I ever need to remove them for repairs to wiring, etc there wont be an issue.
Rick.....

youcantoo
Location: Lebanon, OR., USA - Planet Earth - Third Rock from the Sun
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Postby youcantoo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Possum51 wrote:as it turns out the battery isn't any good. When tested it shows 12+ volts, but no amps, so getting new battery tomorrow. Its an 84 and been rode hard so the compartments on the fairing somewhere along the line were broken and someone just used black duct tape to cover them. What I am going to do it get some diamond plate, cut to cover the holes and then spray them with flat black before mounting. Going to mount in a way so that if I ever need to remove them for repairs to wiring, etc there wont be an issue.

This is my solution to the broken and missing covers you speak about

it also looks a heck of a lot neater, then diamond plate and gives you a lot more room to boot.

The left and right pockets are Hopnels and were made for the 1800

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Those pouches look really good on there, where did you get them? Looks much better than the diamond plate on there now for sure!
Rick.....

youcantoo

Postby youcantoo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Possum51 wrote:Those pouches look really good on there, where did you get them? Looks much better than the diamond plate on there now for sure!

You can find them here

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ83059

or

http://wingstuff.com/products/2296-gl18 ... hes-gl1800

They are not cheap, but they add a touch of class that diamond plate just can not do. I ended up putting the right pocket on the left side and the left pocket on the right side as they fit better. I bought the snaps at a place that makes boat covers as I like them better than using double sided sticky tape.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 pm

thanks for the link !! Youcantoo
Rick.....

youcantoo

Postby youcantoo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:11 pm

If you do add the pouches to your bike please post a picture, and let us know how you mounted them.

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:20 pm

youcantoo wrote:If you do add the pouches to your bike please post a picture, and let us know how you mounted them.

ok, will do
Rick.....

Possum51

Postby Possum51 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 pm

youcantoo wrote:
Possum51 wrote:as it turns out the battery isn't any good. When tested it shows 12+ volts, but no amps, so getting new battery tomorrow. Its an 84 and been rode hard so the compartments on the fairing somewhere along the line were broken and someone just used black duct tape to cover them. What I am going to do it get some diamond plate, cut to cover the holes and then spray them with flat black before mounting. Going to mount in a way so that if I ever need to remove them for repairs to wiring, etc there wont be an issue.

This is my solution to the broken and missing covers you speak about

it also looks a heck of a lot neater, then diamond plate and gives you a lot more room to boot.

The left and right pockets are Hopnels and were made for the 1800

I took your idea and got pouches for my 84 1200, I mounted them a little differently I used velcro instead of snaps and they look good and its plenty strong enough to hold them in place.
Attachments

Rick.....

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”