Caliper rebuild

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
24.4ZOOM

Caliper rebuild

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 am

We are well into the rear caliper rebuild, necessitated by the rear being very very stuck.So it stands to reason that the rest will need rebuilding as well. This is on an 86 Aspencade with 40K miles.An old bike that sat up more than it was driven.The question is this, I understand the linked brake thing, and the front caliper pistons are two different sizes.On the parts fiche, do I just need to buy the right quantity of seals and dust seals as shown? I'm sort of confused.At least the local dealer has the parts in stock as well as organic EBC pads.Thanks folks.
Brakeless in SC Patrick

tricky

Re: Caliper rebuild

Postby tricky » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 am

You mention the bike has sat around for a while, even if it was ridden it would still be 25 years old.
If the pistons are pitted, I would suggest replace them. All seals, even the small rubber dust covers, they will no doubt disintegrate an dis-assembly anyway.
Use either never seize or silicone grease on the bolts and sliders.

Do the job right or do it again.

Mine has 230,000k on it and I did 1 major rebuild on all calipers + replacement pads when required.

My recent change which should have been done long ago it replacing the rubber brake lines for new stainless braided lines.

Did you ever keep rubber lines on your car for 25 years?

24.4ZOOM

Re: Caliper rebuild

Postby 24.4ZOOM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Good point. Just reassembled rear and took her out for a spin. Still kinda spongy, but have lots more brakes.Last of sponginess should clear up when front is serviced. Meanwhile, I'm gonna park on the sidestand and bleed again...supposed to help with any resudual air in the front in particular. And yes, I will do this all over again next week when I finish.
Stopping rapidly, Patrick

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”