Air Pump Drier Question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Air Pump Drier Question

Postby BikerNewsman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Well, actually 2 questions regarding a 1985 GL1200 LTD w/ CFI.

First, the Clymer manual mentions cleaning the air pump filter element (if you have a Clymer it's in Chapter 3, pg.33). I've checked in the hole under the right pocket but don't see anything similar to what is described, even after looking under the bundle of wires. Does this model bike actually have this or is the LTD inclusion in Clymer for this procedure simply a mis-print??

Second, what I was actually attempting to do when I found the instructions referenced above... changing/refreshing the desiccant in the compressor dryer. I can see the dryer, and the glass window, but I can't figure out how to get to the dryer itself. Clymer (Chapter 3, pgs. 33 & 34) says to remove the front fairing's right-hand pocket cover, then separate the rubber cover halves and remove the cover. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand this step, or how that would give me the access needed to perform the maintenance described. :? Can someone give me the step-by-step instructions (perhaps with pics) on how to actually get to, and remove, the dryer?? I understand how to proceed with accessing the desiccant from there.

"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Re: Air Pump Drier Question

Postby seabee_ » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Have you checked the how to section? In the 1100 section there is a how to on servicing the air dryer. You should be able to get to it thru the false tank after removing the tray. Might also help to remove the right side glove box.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:13 pm

My initial search here brought up that page, which is how I learned how to "refresh" the desiccant. The problem however is that the air pump/dryer assembly pictured there (for an 1100) is not what I have on my 1200 LTD, nor does it appear to be in the same location. Again, unless I'm missing something, the Clymer instructions regarding how to access it (which is what I need to know most) seems to be either somewhat lacking or for a different model bike. The attached pics are of the area around the side pocket cavity, and the view into it, showing the dryer in the far left corner virtually under the lower right hand corner of the radio. I don't see any "rubber cover halves" to remove as Clymer instructs. :( I do see some sort of double-pronged clip on top of the dryer that appears to be part of what holds it in place, but that too is inaccessable without removing something to get to it. The question is, which, or how many, "somethings" need to be removed to afford sufficient access to the dryer to remove it?
Attachments

CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm

you have to remove the whole rubber package to ge at it. just use a long flat screwdriver and pop the covers nipples out of the side wall of the compartment. then carefully pull the whole thing out and seperate the two halves and then follow the same procedger for the gl1100 setup. i had to basicly unhook everything to do this but it worked well while your their you mine as well clean all the switches and the selector while your at it.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm

That right there is a pain the butt job :lol: Enough so that when mine started running but not pumping enough air to do anything I took a look and said heck with it, Ill use the scrader valve until I have time to mess with it. That was a year ago and it still isnt fixed :lol: :lol:

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:15 pm

CharlaineC - By golly, aren't you the smart one! ;) I just went outside to see if my bike had those 2 little nipples, and of course it did. Lol I was so intent on figuring out how to get the darned thing out of it's cubby hole, and un-hooking virtually everything else inside the box, I never looked at the outside side of the box near the forks. :o I finally gave up and put everything back in place and started resolving a failure-to-charge problem with the intention of going back to this once everything else has been resolved. Once I complete the charging problem's repair I'll start over again on this following your advice.

I reviewed the instructions for the 1100 to see if I somehow missed the nipple part. I didn't, so I guess that part isn't applicable to those. Unless I overlooked it I don't see an article about how to complete this "fix" from start to finish on the '85 GL1200 LTD, so unless I overlooked that, or someone else beats me to the punch, once I complete mine I'll post the entire sequence. I always take loads of pics while I do repairs... partly so I can remember how things were should I get delayed completing it (or have to do it again a few years later), and partly so I can help someone else with the same thing if needed. And I wonder why it takes me soooo long to fix stuff. :lol:

Ghostrider52005 - Not a bad work-around but... aren't you still filling your shocks and the rest of the leveling system with moist air? Rust works just as hard from the inside you know. :) This does bring about a question that's been lingering in the back of my mind... if for some reason someone isn't able to repair the original dryer, couldn't a dryer for a shop compressor be put in-line somehow and still achieve the same results???

Both of you - - THANKS for taking the time and effort to respond so long after the last post. It shows one should never give up resolving a problem. :P

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Bikernewman. I normally use a hand pump designed for specifically for airing up shocks. I have used gas station compressors in a pinch and yeah im putting some moisture in there when I do.
But my rear shocks are needing rebuilt anyway so im not to worried about the moisture thing in them.
The on board will still pump enough volume to slowly air up the forks and I use it for that on the rare occasion i need to change the pressure in them. Its darn near impossible to air forks anyway with a shop compressor anyway unless its a mighty slow one :lol:
Im pretty sure the intake filter on mine is clogged or fell apart blocking the intake line. Ill get around to it eventually probably once ive done the rear shocks. :)

CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:51 pm

you can get desiccant online through amazon and ebay

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Orrrrr, you can dry it in the oven and use it again. ;) Ghostrider - darn you! lol I completely forgot about the intake filter. I have just added that to my "to do" list. And I thought the list was getting shorter. Lol

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”