One project down, several more to go.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

One project down, several more to go.

Postby Phunnybone » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Ordered the http://www.tiresafeguard.com/prices.htm TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). They forgot to tell me they were backordered and when I checked my credit card after two weeks it still hadn't been billed. Called again and found out that the new shipment had just come in and mine was shipping that day. Came in two days later via USPS. Got the 4-monitor system (two for the trailer and two for the bike).

Next projects: hmmm don't know which to do first. Oil change? 139db Air Horn install? Rear Master Cylinder? Front Master Cylinder? Clutch master, clutch slave? As I get around to doing them I'll post the newest project done.

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Re: One project down, several more to go.

Postby zamboni920 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Ahhh, priorities, priorities......
My number one priority(most days) are a comfy lawn chair, a cold Smirnoff Ice ....and just looking at the bikes for a while.....coming up with new ideas (argggghhh) .

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 am

Changed out a filthy air filter. Not because that was what I set out to do, but because I turned on the ignition and there was nothing. So, checking wires and one of the connectors (4-wire) to the fuse panel is corroded, sooooo . . if I'm gonna take all that out and check it over I might as well change the air filter too.

Managed to get the spades out of the connector and sanded them clean, scraped out the female side as best I could. Dabbed on a little terminal (light bulb, dielectric, etc) grease and put that back together.

Still trying to hunt down why the battery drained down to nil. Reminds me . . . gotta test the trunk light. Thank goodness for facetime . . . I can check it live to see if it stays on after I shut the trunk! :)

I may have some bad connections to the right (rear) of the battery. Once I have it charged I'll disconnect it and check that bunch out. I have a feeling that something is grounding somewhere. All the auxiliary lights will come on with the ignition in the 'off' position, but only occasionally come on when in the 'on' or running position.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Phunnybone wrote:Still trying to hunt down why the battery drained down to nil. Reminds me . . . gotta test the trunk light. Thank goodness for facetime . . . I can check it live to see if it stays on after I shut the trunk! :)

Nice idea! I used a camera left recording in video mode for the same thing.

I have a waterproof camera that I stuck in my dishwasher, along with a flashlight inside a ziplock bag (for illumination) to diagnose a seal leak problem that I was unable to duplicate without water pressure flowing through it. :)

Phunnybone
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)

Postby Phunnybone » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Magically, all the parts I had ordered to replace the bad relay to the aux lights (as well as the still working one for the aux driving lights) came in yesterday. The old ones had 3 connections (Lamp, Battery, Switch) and the new had 4 connections (ground added). Since the old ones were metal, they were ground out to the frame when connected.

Took me a little while to make sure I had the wires in the right places (lots of double and triple checking to make sure the aux lights worked after each time I soldered a couple of wires together and heat-shrunk them). Got all that done last night by carport light.

Finished up this morning figuring out where to put the wires (so that some future owner won't bitch about how much of a hack job a PO did with it :roll: ). Then I replaced about 35 push-in bulbs with the LEDs that came in from China (a week early!) yesterday. Now everything's back together and she's ready for a check ride.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”