Static on passenger headset

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
metalsmith
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Static on passenger headset

Postby metalsmith » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:06 pm

She Who Must Be Obeyed says that there is a constant static in her on board intercom headset. Either I don't have it in mine or it is in the frequency range I no longer hear.

She says it varies right along with the engine rpm's...BUT....when I hit either the front brake lever, rear brake foot pedal OR the clutch lever, it stops!!!

I thought it might be tied to the brake lights, but it more likely would be tied to the cruise control since it has switches on all these locations.

It has been suggested that it is a product of engine rpm only (which drops when any of the above actions takes place) but I have no idea what to look for or look at to clean this up.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Static on passenger headset

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 am

It could be regulator/stator noise, and the reason it's bleeding into the audio system is because the regulator is letting the voltage get too high. When you hit the brakes, the voltage drops from the added load, and the noise goes away. That doesn't explain why the clutch lever would get rid of it as well, however.

Does the noise happen at idle, or only at cruise speed?

It could be a bad ground, and engaging the brakes (or squeezing the clutch) provides an additional ground path, alleviating the problem. In that case, cleaning audio system connectors with electrical contact cleaners could solve it. Failing that, bonding the audio system with an additional ground strap could possibly help.

Boyd
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A

Postby Boyd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:04 pm

I had a similar issue with my headsets just a month ago. A lot of static in passenger headset that got less but did not go away when brakes were applied. I got a little concerned thinking everything from the radio to the CB to the actual headsets. I had OEM hondaline headsets that I was going to replace anyway because I bought 1/2 helmets and my headsets were designed for 3/4 helmets. After cleaning almost every 5 pin connection on the bike with no improvement, I bought new j&m headsets, still no improvement. I them decided to plug the passenger headset directly into the plug under the false tank (mine was just left of the gas tank cap) therefore eliminating the extension cord (I got a Corbin seat with the cord built in and comes out in the middle of the seat between me and the passenger), when I did the static was gone. Ended up being the cord had a short. I replaced the cord with another and all is great. It did create a new problem because now I can hear the wife on the back, and she knows it.

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the ideas! I'll do some wire/connector chasing this weekend.
I'll have to get Tailgunner to help me trouble-shoot (she has better hearing than I do)

....now, almost seven hours later I get to finish this...

I'll have her pinpoint the noise as to how it corresponds to engine rpm. Sounds like I might better check my headset cables too. I'll swap mine and hers and see if I get different results.

I'll let you know if I find something.

Thanks again

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Whoah Boyd.....living kinda dangerous eh?

Sorry to hear of your 'new' problem.....I take it your better-half doesn't frequent the forums?? :roll:

Boyd
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A

Postby Boyd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 pm

metalsmith wrote:Whoah Boyd.....living kinda dangerous eh?

Sorry to hear of your 'new' problem.....I take it your better-half doesn't frequent the forums?? :roll:

That's correct, she doesn't read the forums at all or I'd be sleeping on the couch for a week and she would give me the silent treatment.......hey wait a minute, that might be a win win! :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”