caliper moving when i squeeze brake.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
lovemyzx9r
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

caliper moving when i squeeze brake.

Postby lovemyzx9r » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:49 pm

ok. i am making progress on these brakes. the master cylinder has better pressure, the piston seals were a breeze to replace and move freely but still cannot build acceptable pressure. i noticed the whole caliper is moving when i squeeze the front brake. the bushing for the lower caliper mount that goes into the trac system on the fork is wabbling and loose. the rubber is decintigrated and all but gone. does anyone have any experience with this problem? i honestly am not sure which pieces to replace. the trac box and rubbers for the bushing/collar seem like the obvious solution but that will be another 150 dollars. does anyone have any suggestions other than replacing the trac box and any idea what the little things inside the hole for the caliper mount are...they seem to move and have something to do with the trac system but the honda manual makes no mention of them. could i drill the hole round and put a larger collar in it? is there a more explanatory manual than the factory service manual?
thanks again guys.

lovemyzx9r
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

Re: caliper moving when i squeeze brake.

Postby lovemyzx9r » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 am

found a solution not the right way but it works for now... a rubber bushing and some washers to press the bushing in place cut the movement in half and we now have 80% brakes. if anyone knows the correct way to fix it feel free to let me know. thanks
Attachments

Scanjo
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Postby Scanjo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:04 pm

lovemyzx9r wrote:found a solution not the right way but it works for now... a rubber bushing and some washers to press the bushing in place cut the movement in half and we now have 80% brakes. if anyone knows the correct way to fix it feel free to let me know. thanks

First of all I'm not a mechanic... I had a 1200 a few years ago and did work on the rubber parts you mention. Mine were completely shot. From what I can remember, that "loose" part you talk about is part of the Trax system for anti dive. When you apply the brakes, the calipers try to rotate with the rotor and it moves that "loose" piece against a valve to restrict the fork oil so the forks compress slower. The harder you apply the brakes, the more pressure it applies to the valve because the bike is trying to dive harder under severe braking. If you placed a rubber bushing in there then you have probably defeated the anti dive feature in that fork leg. I don't know the correct answer for your braking problem except to pony up the money and replace the parts with OEM or Ebay parts. It may be (or seem to be) better now but in my opinion it's not right...

lovemyzx9r
1984 700 magna
2000 kawi zx9r

Postby lovemyzx9r » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 pm

thanks scanjo... the bikes on a trip right now i will be ordering the parts shortly. just sharing a temporary fix and hoping to get some input on the likely cause of this problem. don't want to replace the parts just to have it happen again. do you remember if there are supposed to be bushings in between the collar and trac housing? there were none when i took it apart but it seemed like there should be something to hold the collar in place. seems like a 48k mi bike shouldnt be having this severe of a problem. though if the bushings were rubber it has a been almost 30 years. i agree with you completely. its not my bike and living in rural ohio it does take a few days longer to get parts for me than most. i will fix it right rest assured. i only use oem parts when my life is on the line. all i can do is what i am told when its someone elses bike. its made it 500 miles so far no problems. as of an hour ago anyway. fingers crossed.

Scanjo

Postby Scanjo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 pm

I had the 1200 and worked on those parts back in 2008. I've worked on my 1500 since then and can't remember real clearly what parts were in there on the 1200. Sorry. It seems that there were just rubber boots on both ends to keep dirt and moisture away from that little valve in the fork leg. Let me see if I can find a parts diagram...

Scanjo

Postby Scanjo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Ok. I found a diagram. Here's a cropped image.

Fork parts
Fork parts

Part number 31 seems to be what you need, and maybe 33. 31 is listed as a piston case boot and 33 is a boot holder. I honestly don't remember what the boot holder was and the poor pic gives few clues... If there is rust and pitting on part #21 then you might need it too. It's listed as piston collar. I do remember I cleaned mine up and only replaced rubber parts.

Honda part numbers are:

piston collar - 51423-MB1-771
piston case boot - 51442-MC7-003
boot holder - 51445-MC7-003

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”