Goldwing electrical problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
vBreezo
Motorcycle: 1985 GoldWing 1200 LTD

Goldwing electrical problems

Postby vBreezo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 am

A quick scan of posts reveals that electrical problems are fairly common on older GoldWings. This is probably true of any older bike; my 85 LTD seems especially prone to electrical glitches. While replacing the fairing, I removed all communication devices and the associated wiring just to clean up the wiring harness. I never listen to the radio or talk on the CB when riding anyhow.

Since then: my taillights have stopped working, my radiator fan will not come on (causing overheating in city traffic) and now my EC (engine control) computer appears to have failed. I have added larger horns and running lights for safety reasons. They are working fine. The major problem is that I cannot find anyone who is willing to test, diagnose and fix the electrical problems so I guess I will have to learn how to use a voltmeter. Any tips / suggestions on learning the electrical system would be appreciated. I do have the Clymer repair manual which seems to have a good section on the electrical system.

The on-going joys of owning a 25+ year old motorcycle.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Goldwing electrical problems

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 am

I own a 84 and have gone over it very close.I'm also working with a guy on Canada with a failed CFI ignition module.ask away,I can overload you with info,test procedures and generally force you to fix it yourself.
All I ask is that you don't jump around.I have a mental map test procedure that,if followed will locate problem areas quick.
I attack each problem separately after I get the history and as many detailed tidbits as possible.
With the problems your having, the first thing to get is a simple 12 volt test light.

vBreezo
Motorcycle: 1985 GoldWing 1200 LTD

Postby vBreezo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 am

virgil; I do have a 12 volt test light, used it to do some basic diagnosis of my system. I have determined that my taillight problem originates in the ignition module that is located behind the battery but it looks too complicated for me to tear apart without being sure I can get it back together. I saw an Engine Control computer for sale on e-Bay so I bid on it (and won) even though I do not know if that is my problem. The dealer told me he was not sure if he could locate one but if he did, it would be over $300.00. So I grabbed this one in case I need it some day - it is the first time that I have seen an E C computer on e-Bay.

Tomorrow, my bike is being trailered to a backyard mechanic in Greensboro who is well versed in GW electrical systems. I do want to learn more about troubleshooting the electrical system someday but for now, I just want to get it fixed so I can R I D E. That's why I bought the thing.

R-von

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm

You can also turn your mechanic onto this site.Many of the problems you have are here too.
Here's a post on a ECU or CFI module problem(whatever you like to call it)...viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12158

We don't mind helping anybody. :geek: ..not just DIYers. :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”