Oil Leak...H.D. wannabe?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
metalsmith
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Oil Leak...H.D. wannabe?

Postby metalsmith » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm

This happened a couple of nights ago, never happened before and has not happened since.

We visited my sis and bil up on the hill at their cabin. I parked up by the house for the first time. That part of the driveway is a pretty good grade, so I left it in gear and leaning on the side stand, in a nose-high attitude.

We were there for about an hour, and when getting ready to go I noticed a pretty good oil spot under the bike, back of the right-side floorboard, and to the right of center of the engine. It was too dark to determine the origin so I checked the oil level (added about 4 oz) and we headed down the mountain.

The next morning ther was nothing on the garage floor, and I have seen no evidence of a leak again.

Is there some kind of ccv on the back of these? Would it possible to leak around a drive shaft seal or some such thing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

metalsmith

Re: Oil Leak...H.D. wannabe?

Postby metalsmith » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:25 pm

A little update...

I guess it was just waiting for me to ask a question............

This morning I have some oil on the garage floor. It was on the center stand all night, same as always. I got in there with some lights and mirrors, and near as I can tell it is coming from around the lower bolt on the rear case. I cleaned it up so I can see what's going on, and I'll keep an eye on it. Seems strange that it could go several days with no leak, then a spot on the floor about 6" diameter. Nothing showed on the floor from the previous few nights.

I did have it parked outside by the shop most of yesterday, and it was nose high again.

I'll see what I see. Could be a seal/gasket on the case. Maybe oil is getting past it when I am not parked level.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Can you trace where it is dripping from? Try spraying some brake cleaner to dissolve whatever oil/gunk may be under there, get it all sparkly clean, and wait for it to happen again, so you can have a better chance of finding just where it is originating.

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:50 pm

I have been watching it all week with no sign of a drip, so tonight I hosed it off with some brake cleaner and tomorrow morning I will roll it out and park it in a nose-high attitude for a few hours and see what I get.

I did throw a wrench on the lower bolt that seemed to be oily from the last go-around. It snugged about a 6th of a turn (not with a torque wrench) but it was not loose. I'll post my results tomorrow when I know something.

metalsmith

Postby metalsmith » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Breaking news......this just in.......

It appears that I have a couple of seals giving up the ghost.

The oil is leaking out of the lower bolt hole on the clutch cylinder when I park the bike nose high. It is engine oil so I think that means that parts #91204-MB0-013 and #91204-MB0-013 are letting oil past. It does not seem to occur while running or when parked level on the main stand or the side stand.

I haven't dug out the book yet, but it looks like a pull-the-engine kinda thing.

I needed another project :lol:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”