Rear Axle Question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Rear Axle Question

Postby BikerNewsman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: 1985 GL1200 LTD - I just had new tires mounted (not on the bike) and will be cleaning up the calipers and replacing the brake pads before re-installing everything. I noticed in the repair manual it says to "hold the axle with a wrench and tighten the axle self-locking nut to the specified torque", then one of the last instructions on the list is to tighten the pinch nut. Ummm, how do you hold the axle steady enough with one hand (using a wrench) to get the proper/correct torque measurement when tightening with the other hand on the opposite side of the bike? What's wrong with tightening the pinch nut to hold the axle in place while you tighten the self-locking nut? I'm sure there's a reason for the order of assembly, but don't understand this part. I considered using a heavy hose clamp around the frame to hold the wrench in place. Any suggestions about how to do this, or explanation of why to wait to tighten the pinch nut, would be appreciated.

"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Rear Axle Question

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:58 pm

The nut pulls the axle through the entire assembly and secures all the gaps.You must allow the axle to slip in the swing arm.If it's secured on the left,it could leave a misalignment.The axle is held from rotating with a rod through the hole in the end.

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 pm

virgilmobile wrote:The nut pulls the axle through the entire assembly and secures all the gaps.You must allow the axle to slip in the swing arm.If it's secured on the left,it could leave a misalignment.The axle is held from rotating with a rod through the hole in the end.

I suppose I'm dense but I still don't understand this. If nothing is securing the swing arm to the left end of the axle, then all tightening the nut does is hide both the hole and the flat spot for the wrench without pulling anything together. Found this out when just tightening the nut "finger tight". That's why I was questioning when the pinch nut should be tightned. :?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 pm

I've got a 84 and I don't remember the axle disappearing into the swing arm when the nut was tightened.
As I recall,the pinch bolt is left loose and just kept from turning while the nut is torqued down.If the pinch bolt is tightened down first and then the nut torqued it may leave the rear wheel out of alignment.
The axle bottoms out on the spacer,bearings,inner spacer and then the drive hub.
You should be able to take the differential,attach it to the wheel and run the axle through it...Still leaving enough left over to stick out of the swing arm.
You may be missing a spacer or have the wrong axle.

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks :) After reading your reply I figured out what was going on. I placed the axle through the swing arm, both spacers, and the wheel but left the rear brake assembly off while overhauling it. Without that there was nothing to catch the axle lip (pictured below) so it just went right on through the swing arm. For some reason I was under impression that tightning the axle nut would snug the swing arm up to the entire assembly. I generally take pictures of what I'm going to work on, and how it comes apart, so if I'm delayed getting back to it and forget how something was, or if someone asks how I did it, I can just look at the pics. The pic I took of this was taken while I was inspecting the brakes and didn't include the axle. :( I thought I had a pic of the entire area. Wrong! lol

I just finished installing the brake assembly, and re-inserting the axle, but haven't torqued it down yet. Need to get a 3/8 to 3/4 adapter first. Will be doing that tomorrow. The hole near the end of the axle is conceled by the swing arm, but the place for the wrench isn't, so I guess I'll just strap the wrench to the frame, then go around to the nut (the other nut besides me) on the other side to torque. Right now the brake assembly is all but touching the top of the rotor. I assume once the axle nut is tightned it will pull the assembly away enough to give the proper clearance.
Attachments

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”