Unknown cut wires found. what are they and help...

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Unknown cut wires found. what are they and help...

Postby CharlaineC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 pm

can anyone tell me what these wires go to on a 1987 GL1200A I'm searching the wiring diagrams in the books i have to try to figure it out (i'm starting to think if i'm understanding the clymer diagrams on page 245 that they are part f the charging system. lt green and black/ green. Also I cannot be sure but I think that when i pulled the fuses out of the fuses that connect to a set of running switched running lights my fan shut off. I'm not sure as the battery is now dead. I jumped her with my trucks battery. no power to the truck and she turned right over. rode her for about an hour last night shut her off and she started right up. this only recently started and I think its because I put fuses in the holders. The battery tested fine with a load and the bike ran when the neg cable was removed from the battery. Also the Dogbone fuse has not been converted yet i'm doing that maybe tomorrow.

this is a shot of my fuse box. the two black wired are fused with a 15 amp fuse that connect to another set of fuses one 15 amp posative and one 15 amp negitive.

CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Re: Unknown cut wires found. what are they and help...

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am

ok so I'm still trying to Identify the cut wires. Mind you I did not cut them, they came this way. I'm not sure as to what they go to, but they are taped to a wire bundle that is part of a large rectangle connector. that connects to something under the seat.

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Re: Unknown cut wires found. what are they and help...

Postby Phunnybone » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Pull the seat off and follow them. Sometimes that's the only way to find out where they go. Had a relay to the aux lights go bad on my '85 LTD and had to replace it and the other relay (to the aux 'driving' lights up front). Took a little while to figure out which wire went where, but when I did, it was solder and heat shrink time.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”