Issues during master cylinder rebuild

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Issues during master cylinder rebuild

Postby gof » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 am

The plunger seal seems to stick out in a flanged shape now. It is nearly impossible to push back into the master cylinder. It seems to be seated correctly. I don't see how it will ever work properly since it only has that small spring to return it back to position. I have used brake fluid as lubricant and it appears I have it on the correct direction. Any ideas or experience with this?

See photo.
Attachments
Old on Left new on Right
Old on Left new on Right

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Re: Issues during master cylinder rebuild

Postby goldminerusa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 am

Gof, i understand what you mean. Yesterday i rebuilt the front m/cyl. on my 1100. With the new piston and seals it wasn`t easy to push it back in. Suggest you try the old piston with the new seals and the old spring. The spring tension isn`t that great to start with, so it shouldn`t changed things much. If you can`t push it in by hand, try putting the cyl. in a vise and using say a 1/4" drive extension, press it in. The piston/seals may be cocking to one side. My problem was different, and i reassembled mine the way i suggest here, but these were things i noted during my rebuild. Something IS different about the new piston though, the one i got seemed much heavier. Hope this helps.

gof
Motorcycle: 2004 Titanium Gl1800 & 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade 1200

Postby gof » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 am

goldminerusa wrote:Gof, i understand what you mean. Yesterday i rebuilt the front m/cyl. on my 1100. With the new piston and seals it. Something IS different about the new piston though, the one i got seemed much heavier. Hope this helps.

Glad to see I am not crazy. So did the new seal seat differently on the old piston? Did it suddenly becomes much easier to slip it back together? I certainly do not think the spring is the issue at all. It felt to me like the new seal was binding againt the cylinder wall. I really had to push hard to get it in.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:10 pm

In my situation, no, i had to force it in, but, the 82`s only have 1 seal. Using force isn`t a bad thing, it does ensure a tight fit. Just make sure the cylinders bore is clean, use aerosol brake cleaner, let it dry, pour some brake fluid in get it wet, dip the valve assembly in fluid, dry your hands and push hard. Maybe try the vise idea. Maybe measure the pistons before hand and make sure they are the same diameter, 15mm i think. If different use the smaller and see if you get leakage in the bench test. Oh and check the how-to articles on this site. Maybe check www.nakedgoldwings.com for more info.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”