Catastrophe...where do I start????

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wingsfan98
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Catastrophe...where do I start????

Postby wingsfan98 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 am

So, yesterday we finished setting timing on my 84 1200 aspencade...triple and quadruple checked and everything perfectly lined up. Started up like a beauty. Ran great, purring and power.
Warmed up and was running fine. Gears were in Neutral and was up to operating temp. Gave it gas a few times to check out advance and make sure all was good. Had rev line up to about 4500 rpms and was letting off gas when a massive clunk (metallic) sound and stopped dead. Nearest I could tell, came from around the clutch assembly area. Everything stopped dead and wouldn't turn over. Even though in Neutral, rear tire wouldn 't turn, at first, then after pushing a couple of feet, it did. It is still in neutral but doesn't turn over, just clicks.
Open to any suggestions about where to start. I suspect clutch cage and plates...busted springs???
Or, am I way off.
Never had this problem with any bike and am desperate.

Thanks
wingsfan98@sbcglobal.net

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Catastrophe...where do I start????

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

I'd start by removing the timing belt cover.See if you can move the engine by the crankshaft.Even moving it just a little.Let's find out if the engine seized or something related to the moving parts attached to it locked up.
If the engine seized,so will the crank,if it's related to the gearbox you should be able to move the crank a little.
Either way,prepare for the worst and expect to be pulling the motor to get the rear cover off.The clutch and stator unit can be inspected from there.
I think if the clutch blew apart(in neutral) It could have locked the motor and then pieces may have jammed into the gearbox and locked the wheel.Anything is possible.A chunk of metal on the hyvo chain???

Even if you get it freed up,please don't start it till you find the problem.There's a lot of moving parts in there and a floating chunk of metal can destroy the engine or gearbox.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am

Well... after the usual battery checks...

Try removing the spark plugs... and check for the dreaded "hydro lock" ( gas in the cylinders)

Hydro lock will certainly stop the machine from turning over .....

SilverDave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:20 pm

SilverDave wrote:Well... after the usual battery checks...

Try removing the spark plugs... and check for the dreaded "hydro lock" ( gas in the cylinders)

Hydro lock will certainly stop the machine from turning over .....

SilverDave

Hydrolock will generally only happen after the engine has been sitting for some time. It won't happen when the bike is already running unless you somehow pour a massive amount of gas (or other liquid) down the throttle body.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”