Running Rough

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Lucky713
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Running Rough

Postby Lucky713 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I have a 1986 GL1200 SEI aspencade. It is electronic fuel injected. The other day I was riding on the hwy, and all of a sudden it started running rough. After a few minutes it smoothed back out. Later that day on my way back home it was running rough again. Again it smoothed out after about 5-10 minutes of riding. But I noticed if I gave it gas to speed up it would sound rough. The best way I can describe it is when I excellerate it sounds like its bogging down. Once I get up to cruising speed, and dont give it gas, it smooths out like normal. I did fill up the other day, and ran a higher octane fuel to see if that would solve the problem. I replaced the fuel filter today. I also checked the spark plugs. They did have a little carbon build up on the one side, but the other side was fairly clean. I cleaned them up and put them back in. I also checked the air filter. That was clean and looks like brand new. I also cleaned the throttle valves per my manual to make sure one of those was not hanging up and letting to much fuel in. After taking it for a ride tonight, its doing the same thing. It almost feels like its skipping back and forth between running normal and rough as I'm shifting through the gears. Once I get up to OD it runs smooth, I can give it a little gas and it does not bog down. But if I give it a little to much, it bogs down. Can anyone tell me which direction to go from here.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Running Rough

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:14 pm

From what you are discribing I would think that fuel pressure should be checked.It is possible the pump is getting weak .I am trying to think of anything else to check but right now you will just have to wait until someone else chimes in with other ideas.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Lucky713

Postby Lucky713 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

thanks bustedwing. I was thinking about that also. It acts like a fuel supply problem to me also, just not sure what to check next.

ScottRempel
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LE

Postby ScottRempel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:03 am

I just had a similar problem. In my case, it turned out that there is a filter in the tank that was clogging with sediment, restricting the amount of fuel that could exit the tank. At first it was intermittent, then became more consistent. It's a huge job getting the tank out (we had to remove the back wheel, saddlebags, fender, etc.) and we cleaned it with ball bearings, but couldn't figure out a way to actually get the filter out.

Lucky713

Postby Lucky713 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Scott

where is the filter located. I know the shut off valve is on the side of the tank, lower part of the tank. cant you just remove the shut off valve, and the filter is behind that, or is the filter somewhere else?

ScottRempel
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LE

Postby ScottRempel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

On my LTD (fuel injected), the filter is right under the fuel sending unit. My friend, who did the repair, says you can also test to see if you have a fuel blockage by taking off the hose that goes to the fuel regulator, turn the key on and push the starter for a minute. The engine won't start, and you are supposed to get 16 oz. a minute flowing out. We were only getting 6 oz. He felt that using the ball bearings and slinging them around in the tank was the best way to dislodge the sediment. Unfortunately you have to remove the tank to do that (unless you are very strong ;) .

Lucky713

Postby Lucky713 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Well It sounds like I should be glad it was not sediment in the fuel tank. I noticed the other night when I took the bike for a test run after replacing the fuel filter, checking the plugs, and cleaning the throttle valves, that my voltage was reading 13.3. By the end of the ride it was running around 13.5. It usually runs around 13.9 to 14.2. I had some trouble with the regulator/recitifier last spring. I decided that maybe my problem was not the fuel, but a voltage problem and my spark plugs were not firing correctly because of the lower voltage. I checked some of my connections from the regulator/rectifier, and sure enough they were scortched. I had read on this site prior that when replacing the regulator rectifier you should direct connect all the wires, because they get hot and melt the connectors. I had direct connected some of the wires, but not the wires running to my fuse panel. So I direct connected all the wires having to do with the regulator/rectifier. Once I fired it up, the voltage meter went right up to 14.5. I took the bike for a spin, and it runs better then it has since I bought it. I hit the gas and have instant power. So what was happening was the spark plugs were not firing all the time, and it was bogging down because I had to much fuel in the cylinder that was not burning up. I hope by my trial and error method someone else having this same problem can learn from my experience. Thanks Scott & Bustedwing for your comments. I love this site because everyone is so willing to help one another, and I have gotten great advise on other prolbems that I have run across. I hope everyone reading this enjoys their rides, and be safe out there.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am

Glad to help, one other pointer for other connections I use dielectric grease. This would be on exterior light connections and trailer wiring and such. It keeps corrosion down but does not interfier(sp)with elecricity flowing to curcuits. Do not use it on computer connections.Ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”