Clutch master cylinder / sight glass

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Clutch master cylinder / sight glass

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Was wondering if anyone knows if the sight glass in the clutch master cylinder is the same as the front brake master cylinder. And if either one is replaceable. If so how and where can I get the replacement parts. I want to say that I remember at some point someone telling me it was, but my memory is not good by any means and as far as I can tell I can't figure out how to remove the sight glass from either master cylinder. The clutch master cylinder is leaking through the sight glass. As we all know what DOT 4 brake fluid can do to paint I need not mention the condition of my 85 Limited now. Not pretty and definitely not happy!!! I MUST get this issue fixed IMMEDIATELY before more damage can be done. PLEASE HELP! Thanks all!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Clutch master cylinder / sight glass

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 pm

There may be replacements somewhere.
Mine leaked also and were yellowed badly.
I'm cheap....so.. I grabbed a small piece of 1/8" plexiglass and cut and filed it to fit the hole left when I dug the old one out.obviously draining most of the fluid first.I left enough on there so I wouldn't have to bleed them again.
After wiping the hole clean and dry fitting the dime sized plexiglass,I mixed some JB weld.I used a very small amount around the hole and while holding the lens with needle nose,I added a little around the outside edge.after I set it in place,I wiped the excess outward to the edge.I let it set 24 hours before refilling the resavoier.it turned out good.

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:33 pm

I have seen where someone took an actual dime and JB welded it into the master cylinder as well. And it worked out well for him. This morning I had to go to the local Honda motorcycle dealer for a unrelated issue, not with my bike but their A/C. I know the head mechanic personally so I asked him what to do about it. This is what he has done in the past to repair leaks, even on gas tanks, and he swears by it! The good part, everything cost $2.17 tax included. He told me to empty the resivior, clean the outside really well with brake clean ( BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN USING THE BRAKE CLEAN ), apply super glue around the sight glass, and as quickly as possible "THROW" some baking soda on the super glue and let it set up. Trust me it doesn't long either. Clean up the huge mess, LOL, and refill the resivior. DONE. I will see if I did everything correctly. I have it sitting at the moment to see if it is going to work. This is a lot cheaper than replacing the entire master cylinder ($180) if you can even find one new. Sounds like your fix is the way to go though as you can see the fluid inside. I don't have any plexi glass or any way to cut into the dime size piece that I would need. And honestly I never even look at them anyway. I have even entertained the idea of painting over both of the sight glasses. It would look better than that ugly yellow sight glass anyway. Thanks for the help and the really great tip as I am sure eventually I will have to do some type of "replacement" on it. Take care and stay safe my friend! And remember to always keep the rubber side!

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:18 pm

a 17 mm watch crystal will work using the method that virginmobile used. the crystal will need to be sanded down some to fit
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:10 pm

if you have a dremel you can just use a fine grit sanding ball to remove the bad part(if its not to bad) then use jewelers rouge to buff it out.

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Thank you everyone for all of the suggetions! The super glue/baking soda trick did not work, at least for me. I took a small pick and pulled it all off of the master cylinder. I took a red scuff pad and scuffed up the sight glass itself and surrounding area. Cleaned with the brake clean again and wiped down with a clean cloth. Of course after emptying the resivour again! Had some old two part epoxy laying around, decided to mix some of it and give it a whirl. Nothing to loose, why not. And I didn't have to go to town for anything or spend any more money on more materials. I applied the CLEAR epoxy to the entire area be very careful to stay inside the circle area. Let dry for about an hour and a half. ( Set time 5-8 minutes, full cure time in 24 hours!) Refilled the resiviour. So far so good! NO LEAK and I can even still see through the site glass. Time will tell how well it will hold up! If there are any changes I will post so that everyone will know. Thanks again everyone! :D

CharlaineC
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A GOLDWING ASPENCADE
106,890 Miles

Postby CharlaineC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 am

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!! Epoxy isn't meant to hold up to the kind of pressure that hydraulic fluid of any type is able to create. I state this from experience had a family member do the same thing on another type of machine and it let go and wasn't a pretty thing.

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 am

Thank you CharlaineC for the information! So far it has held up. It has been on there for a few days now and I have rode the bike twice. Accumulated approximately 100 miles of in town stop and go traffic. I have been keeping an eye on it, but with your cautioning I will watch it closer as I am missing enough paint down the left side of the bike as it is from the first leak. Thanks again! As I said in my previous post I will keep everyone updated. Take care and stay safe all! And remember to keep the rubber side down!

brownsuger
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 aspencade

Postby brownsuger » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 am

when my 1200 warms up i take off in first gear and a get a clunk is that normal

brownsuger
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 aspencade

Postby brownsuger » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 am

brownsuger wrote:when my 1200 warms up i take off in first gear and a get a clunk is that normal

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:34 am

When I shift into first and second gear on my bike I too will get a clunk. 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear are all normal. But I only get the "clunk" when I shift into the first and second gears. I have NO problems when I let out on the clutch in any gear and it hasn't affected the driving as of yet. However I can feel my clutch slip when I am hard into the throttle. I have No issues when I ride it the way it was intended to be ridden. This is an indication that my clutch's will need to be replaced in the near future. I did notice that after I beld the clutch, multiple times do to the leak, that everything worked better. If you have not yet bled the clutch then I would reccommend you start there and see what happens. Good luck. And remmeber to always keep the rubber side down!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

CharlaineC wrote:BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!! Epoxy isn't meant to hold up to the kind of pressure that hydraulic fluid of any type is able to create. I state this from experience had a family member do the same thing on another type of machine and it let go and wasn't a pretty thing.

The reservoir isn't under any kind of hydraulic pressure - it's just a tank that holds the fluid that isn't being used.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”